One of the things Canada is most known for is the health insurance plan provided by the government. The Canadian government spent $264 billion in 2019, just on health care. This takes away the burden of paying for medical services from citizens and residents of Canada. The Canadian government sees quality health care as a right, not a privilege.
Health Insurance Quebec
Coverage consists of doctor visits, hospital stays, surgeries, and more. Things like vision or dental care and prescription drugs are not included. This is where private health insurance from companies like Blue Cross comes in. Blue Cross offers coverage that fills in the gaps of the government health insurance plan. Let’s take a deeper look into health insurance in Quebec and what Blue Cross offers.
5 Best Health Insurance Providers Quebec Review
1. Blue Cross
Québec Blue Cross has been a leading health insurance provider in Québec for 75 years.
There are three different health insurance plans to choose from. Each plan offers a different level of coverage and the chance to add optional extras.
- Blue Flex – For those aged 59 and under.
- Health Plus – For those aged 59 and under.
- AMI – For 60 years and older.
- Some plans include the EQ Care virtual health care service. This gives your access to free medical support 24/7.
- Coverage includes prescription drugs and dental and vision care. You will also have access to diagnostic services, nursing care, ambulances, hospitalization, and hearing care.
- Access to the Blue Advantage program for discounts and savings.
- A medical examination may not be necessary.
- Access to health specialists including acupuncturists, dieticians, psychologists and chiropractors is included with all plans.
- The maximum age limit for two of the plans is lower than the industry standard.
- Vision care coverage is lower than expected.
2. Sunlife Health Insurance
Sunlife is one of the oldest health insurance providers in Canada. They offer a variety of insurance products, including their popular health insurance coverage.
They offer two different health insurance products:
- Personal Health Insurance
- Health Coverage Choice
They offer a ‘Basic’ package – a low-cost plan for basic medical and dental needs. They also offer a ‘Standard’ plan, which is the most popular option, offering a higher level of coverage. Finally, they offer an ‘Enhanced’ plan. This is the most comprehensive package, with higher maximum coverage and more healthcare services included.
- Applications are quick and easy and can be done online or over the phone. Alternatively, you can work with your own Sunlife advisor.
- A variety of medical expenses are included, such as prescriptions, dental care, vision, and paramedical expenses.
- You do not need to undergo a medical examination.
- You will have access to practitioners such as physiotherapists, chiropractors, and massage therapists.
- Sunlife will provide medical equipment to assist with mobility.
- You may be able to access emergency medical services abroad.
- The maximum age limit is lower than expected.
- Vision care is not covered under all plans.
Securiglobe is an insurance broker. They compare prices from insurance providers across Quebec for no cost.
Securiglobe pride themselves on their exemplary customer service. You can have your medical and insurance needs assessed by an advisor. They will then search for the perfect insurance plan to match your coverage needs and budget requirement.
Securiglobe offers four different coverage plans:
- Basic Health Insurance
- Prescription Drug Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Complete Health Insurance
- Plans start at only $30 per month.
- Securiglobe compares products and prices from multiple insurance providers to find the best option for you.
- Even the basic plan included vision care, ambulance transfer and therapeutic care.
- They offer a conversion plan within the first 60 days of a group plan expiring.
- No medical questions are asked when taking out a policy.
- At-home nursing care is included.
- You cannot access the prescription drug or dental insurances without taking out a basic health insurance plan.
- None of the plans include travel insurance or hearing care.
4. Manulife Health Insurance
Manulife is the largest insurance provider in Canada. They operate across North America, Europe, and Asia.
You can choose from two main insurance products:
- Flexcare Health and Dental – Personal health insurance
- Follow Me Health and Dental – Coverage that begins with your employee coverage ends.
Manulife offers plans with no minimum or maximum age limit. You can choose insurance that protects your whole family. Low-cost plans are available for those who want basic coverage.
- They offer 3 in 1, life, disability, and critical illness protection.
- Flexcare has an impressive seven plans to choose from.
- You can choose additional coverage if you are over 65.
- Receive 24/7 access to healthcare professionals using the app.
- Free access to Manulife Vitality which allows you to earn rewards and save on premiums.
- You can choose stand-alone coverage for hospitalization or catastrophic injuries.
- Guaranteed Acceptance plans are available.
- Save 5% on your first-year premiums and 10% on future premiums.
- Vision care must be purchased separately.
- Manulife Vitality may not be included with all plans.
Surehealth offers health insurance plans through Green Shield Canada (GSC). With offices all over Canada, GSC and Surehealth offer a not-for-profit health insurance service to Canadians. This means their annual revenue is reinvested to provided healthcare services for their customers.
Surehealth offers an impressive seven different ZONE plans and four different LINK plans. They have a variety of coverage levels at a range of prices.
To be eligible in Quebec, you must be covered by Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
- All plans include prescriptions drugs, dental care, vision care, extended health care and travel.
- All plans include BEACON online Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
- Free access to the Change4Life rewards program.
- Some plans have a guaranteed acceptance and no medical questionnaire.
- Multi-trip travel protection is included.
- All plans include access to Pocket Pills online pharmacy with free deliveries.
- 24/7 access to medical advice or an online doctor.
- Only those under 80 years old are eligible for Surehealth plans.
- Customer services are only open Monday-Friday.
How Health Insurance Works
Health care in Canada is some of the best in the world. Every province has different rules regarding their plan, but coverage tends to be the same across the country. Medical services from health professionals at clinics and hospitals are covered. So, Canadian citizens and residents don’t need to pay for doctor visits or hospital stays. While this post focuses on Quebec, you can also visit the best health insurance pages dedicated to Alberta, British Columbia, and Ontario.
In Quebec, the plan is provided by the Régie de l’assurance Maladie du Québec (health insurance board), also known as the RAMQ. The RAMQ provides Canadians with a health card that they can use at any clinic or hospital
As great as the government health insurance plan is, it can be limited. It does not cover vision care, dental care, or prescription drugs. Costs for these services must come from out of pocket unless you have other coverage. Many workplaces provide extended coverage for their employees. If yours doesn’t, or you are self-employed or aren’t eligible, private or semi-private insurance is also available in Quebec.
Private or semi-private insurance plans tend to cover services for dental care or vision care. Prescription drugs may also be covered. To obtain private insurance, you have to pay an insurance company, either monthly or annually, for your plan. One of the best health insurance companies in Quebec and in the whole of Canada is Blue Cross, which we’ll discuss next.
Is Health Insurance Necessary in Quebec & What Does Blue Cross Offer?
If you don’t receive extended health coverage from your job or spouse, you may want to consider private health insurance. Blue Cross is a great option for an insurance plan. The coverage you receive will help pay for expenses that RAMQ does not cover.
Blue Cross offers three different plans with varying degrees of coverage depending on what you need. Each plan, however, will cover any necessary ambulance trips, nursing care, vision care, a semi-private room in the hospital, medical devices, and much more. You can also add on additional coverage for prescription drugs, dental care, and travel insurance.
Blue Cross provides free quotes for any plan you choose on their website. This is a great way of seeing whether or not private health insurance would be beneficial to you. If you think you will spend more on these additional services than you would on insurance, get the extended coverage! In most cases, the government plan may be enough.
Benefits of Health Insurance
Unfortunately, government health insurance is not a universal concept. Many countries have citizens paying out of pocket for health care. In the United States, for example, citizens spend around $10,000 a year on health care alone. This cost can leave many people bankrupt or in debt. Thus, the main benefit of health insurance is the money you can save on medical services.
Even if you pay for private health insurance, there are still plenty of benefits. Another one is that having coverage will give you peace of mind. You never know when a medical emergency might happen, and the added stress of paying for medical services would be too much. Having health coverage ensures that you and your family can receive top-quality health insurance whenever you need it.
So, if you are looking to save money and ensure you and your family have a great insurance plan, private insurance may be a good option. Blue Cross provides affordable insurance to ensure you are totally covered.
The Bottom Line
Having health insurance that provides the coverage you need has never been more important than it is since the Covid-19 pandemic. No one could have foreseen the toll Covid put on our health professionals and the overall health of our citizens. Thankfully, the Canadian government provided excellent health care, especially for those who needed to have extended stays in the hospital.
That being said, you may have found the coverage lacking in some regards. If you need a prescription drug, for example, you would have to pay out of pocket. This is where private health insurance from companies like Blue Cross comes in handy. Head over to their website now to receive a free health insurance quote.