Saving up for your home takes a long time and a lot of hard work. It’s not easy. It’s a time and effort consuming investment that you need to protect. Naturally, the need for home insurance coverage comes to mind as soon as you become a homeowner.
Every investment carries a risk. Having home insurance helps you manage those risks that come with the care and protection of your home. If you’re thinking of taking out the best insurance, you may need the assistance of a home insurance broker in Canada, whether it’s, for example, in British Columbia or, let’s say, Ontario. A broker can help you save money.
5 Best Insurance Brokers in Canada
Our first offering is RATESDOTCA, one of the most popular insurance search engines in Canada. RATESDOTCA is partnered with more than 50 insurance providers across the country.
RATESDOTCA is partnered with some of the most trusted insurance providers in Canada. This includes Square One Insurance, Aviva, and CAA. As well as home insurance, RATESDOTCA also offers car insurance, travel insurance, and life insurance.
It only takes a few short minutes to receive your free personalized quote from RATESDOTCA. You will be asked to input your personal information and information about your home. You will then be provided with a tailored list of home insurance policies. Once you have chosen the best coverage for you, RATESDOTCA will connect you with the insurance provider.
Your home insurance from RATESDOTCA will include coverage for:
- Property – This covers the structure of your home.
- Contents – This protects your personal property at home and when you carry it with you.
- Personal Liability – This protects you if someone is injured on your property or your property causes them damage.
- Additional Living Expenses – If you are displaced from your home, this covers your living expenses.
You could also opt for additional coverage:
- Dwelling Coverage – This covers the rebuild of the physical structure of your home and any attached or outdoor structures. For example, you can cover your sun deck, swimming pool or children’s play equipment.
- Detached Private Structure – This covers detached structures, such as garages and sheds.
- Personal Property – Any property that you own, use or wear. This could include furniture, clothing, and artwork.
You can also opt for additional home insurance. This could include Earthquake Coverage, Sewer Backup, Identity Theft, and Lock Replacement.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of RATESDOTCA.
- You can save up to 10% on your home insurance policy with RATESDOTCA.
- RATESDOTCA offers intuitive financial tools and calculators to help you make smart financial decisions.
- There are no fees or charges when using RATESDOTCA.
- Getting a personalized quote is quick and easy. The whole process takes less than 10 minutes.
- You can compare insurance quotes from multiple providers at once.
- You can bundle your home and auto insurance to save up to 15%.
- Coverage levels include Basic, Broad and Comprehensive. You can choose the coverage that best suits your needs.
- RATESDOTCA is not an insurance provider. If you have any issues, they may not be able to help.
- The search filters are limited. You cannot narrow down insurance providers with filters such as your chosen deductible, interest rate, or policy limit.
2. PC Insurance
PC Insurance is a team of insurance brokers that work with you to find the best possible home insurance policy. They compare up to eight insurance providers to find the best insurance policy for you.
PC Insurance finds competitive rates and coverage at the best price. The basic coverage plans insurers your home, personal property, personal liability, and living expenses. Additional coverage is also available for earthquakes, sewer backup, overland water, home-sharing and identity theft.
PC Insurance offers some great discount options for your home insurance policy, including:
- Age discount
- Home security and fire protection discount
- Claims free discount
- Mortgage-free discount
- Multi-property discount
- Newer home discount
- Water alarm discount
- Non-smoker discount
- Sewer backup prevention
- Stability discount
For more information on the discounts, or to receive your home insurance quote, visit PC Insurance’s website. If you are still unsure, take a look at our pros and cons list below.
- PC Insurance is available 24/7. If you need to make a claim, they can help you through the claims process.
- PC Insurance offers you great insurance coverage to meet your needs.
- You can save up to 20% if you bundle your home and auto insurance.
- You can earn rewards if you pay your monthly or yearly premium with your PC Financial Mastercard. You can earn 2x the regular PC Optimum Points.
- PC Insurance is partnered with some of the most popular insurance providers in Canada. This includes Intact Insurance, Aviva, and PAFCO.
- Making a claim is quick and easy. An Insurer’s Claims Professional will keep you up to date on your claim, the status of your repairs, and claim payments.
- PC Insurance is partnered with fewer insurance providers than some of its competitors.
- There are fewer coverage options available compared to some other insurance brokers.
BrokerLink has been operating since 1991 and has become one of Canada’s biggest and most trusted insurance brokerages. They have built a network of trusted insurance providers across Canada. BrokerLink now has more than 200 branches across the country.
BrokerLink works with 20 of the most reputable insurers in Canada. They help to save you time and money by searching for the best deals. They match your insurance needs with the best provider and policy and look for deals and discounts.
It takes just 5 minutes to get your insurance quotes. Home insurance is available for a variety of properties. This includes detached, semi-detached, townhouses and apartments.
BrokerLink offers three main coverage options:
All BrokerLink companies are subsidiaries of Intact Insurance. BrokerLink is an insurance broker, not an insurance provider. This means your insurance will not be provided by BrokerLink directly. If you need to make an insurance claim, you will need to contact your insurer directly.
Take a look at the pros and cons of using BrokerLink or visit their website for more information.
- You can bundle your home and auto insurance and save up to 15%.
- You can get an insurance quote online or call BrokerLink and speak to an insurance broker directly. Alternatively, you can visit a BrokerLink branch and speak to an insurance advisor in person.
- BrokerLink offers you the option to choose your own perils, based on the area you live in. For example, if your area has a higher risk of earthquakes or flooding, you could include these in your insurance policy.
- BrokerLink has access to insurance discounts and tips to help you find a cheaper policy.
- BrokerLink is not available in all provinces and territories. It is currently only available in Alberta, New Brunswick, Ontario, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, and Labrador.
4. The Co-Operators
Founded in 1945, The Co-Operators are a leading financial services cooperative. The Co-Operators offer multi-line insurance. They have more than 2,500 licensed insurance representatives. The Co-Operators manage hundreds of thousands of insurance policies across Canada.
There are three types of home insurance available:
- Prestige Plus – This is recommended for higher-value homes. The insurance will be customized to your home’s unique needs and will include all the policy enhancements you may require.
- Prestige – This offers the highest protection for your home and personal property.
- Classic – This offers less coverage but has lower monthly premiums.
The Co-Operators insures a variety of property types. They offer home insurance, condo insurance, tenant insurance and vacation home insurance. Other available insurances are life insurance, travel insurance, auto insurance, business insurance and farm insurance.
You can get an online insurance quote quickly and easily. Alternatively, you can speak to one of The Co-Operators’ financial advisors. They will consider your insurance needs and budget before recommending an insurance policy to you. The financial advisor can set up your policy and talk you through the insurance process.
Below is a list of some of the pros and cons of The Co-Operators home insurance.
- Emergency customer services are available 24/7.
- You have several payment options, such as online payments and monthly plans.
- The Co-Operators only perform a soft credit score when reviewing your application. This means there will be no impact on your credit score.
- You have multiple coverage options available, including Personal Property, Liability Coverage and Perils.
- The Co-Operators aim to make the claims process easy and stress-free. In-house claims experts handle claims quickly. You can make a claim by phone, online via the mobile app or via email.
- An online insurance calculator is available on The Co-Operator’s website.
- Some coverage may be limited. For example, additional living expenses are not covered, and earthquake coverage is not included as standard.
5. Rogers Insurance
Rogers Insurance opened in Calgary in 1977. They have grown to become one of the largest insurance brokerages in Canada. Rogers Insurance has thousands of individual and corporate clients across Canada.
Rogers Insurance offers great home and contents insurance. They are partnered with a large number of home insurance providers across Canada. You will be connected with a knowledgeable and experienced insurance broker. They will help you find the best insurance policy at an affordable price.
Unlike some other insurance brokers, Rogers Insurance does not simply help you find a policy. Your insurance broker will guide you through the entire process, including:
- Assessing your home insurance needs.
- Searching for the best insurance quotes.
- Advising you and providing you with all necessary information.
- Advocating on your behalf in the event of an insurance claim.
- Aiding in risk management for your home. You can choose whether your insurance covers you for replacement costs or the actual cash value.
Rogers Insurance will talk you through the pros and cons of choosing a cheaper policy with less coverage or a more expensive policy with higher coverage. You can then make the best decision for you and your family.
- You can choose your own deductible and policy limits.
- You can choose whether your policy covers you for replacement costs or the actual cash value.
- Rogers Insurance takes pride in its excellent customer service.
- You can request a quote online, over the phone or in person.
- Unlike other insurance brokers, Rogers Insurance will guide you through the claims process. They also offer support and information.
- Other insurance is available including travel, vehicle, and mortgage insurance. Rogers Insurance also offers a=insurance for tenants and condos.
- An after-hours emergency number is available.
- Rogers Insurance is not available in every province.
- There are fewer discounts available.
What Does An Insurance Broker Do?
Insurance Brokers connect customers with insurance companies. The best insurance brokers will sit with you and discuss different insurance quotes and options. They help you arrive at the best home insurance that meets your needs but also, they should help you save money.
Insurance brokers are ready to present varying options that provide suitable home insurance for your home. The best brokers, insurance or otherwise, should be industry experts. They will be familiar with different insurance offered by multiple insurance companies.
They will have the best home insurance in mind. And, they are capable of identifying what adjustments can be made. This way, you can have the coverage that’s best for your circumstances, not just a standard package.
The best insurance brokers will be working with several insurance companies at any point in time. This means they can offer their clients a broad range of home insurance quotes to choose from. There are different products and policies with different conditions and costs, and they will know how to present them to you.
Insurance brokers should be able to assess which coverage is sufficient so you won’t need to spend any more money than you have to. Should you need comprehensive insurance coverage your broker can help negotiate that for you. They can even negotiate discounts whenever possible.
Professional brokers also collect your insurance premiums and keep records of your account. They should be ready to advise you when you need to make claims with insurance companies.
Why is Home Insurance Important?
The security of your house should always be a concern. For peace of mind, taking out the best home insurance helps give you financial security. When you take out a policy with the help of insurance brokers, you get coverage that helps in times of theft or damage.
Insurance quotes provide coverage for what’s inside and outside your house. You are assured that any loss or destruction internally and externally will be taken care of.
If you have to move out of your home due to repairs or reconstruction, an insurance broker can ensure you are covered. Make sure that the insurance quotes cover additional living expenses so you can receive financial relief when you need it.
Home insurance is important not only for the protection of your own home. It has other benefits including:
- financial assistance to cover for damage to other people’s property
- insurance coverage when somebody steals items from your car
If a fire spreads from your house to your neighbour’s, your insurance steps in to assist you with any liability exposure you have. Also, if a guest slips and falls in your driveway, your insurance broker can assist you in settling expenses arising from that injury.
What Does Home Insurance Cover You For?
It is the role of Insurance brokers to lay out different insurance quotes for home insurance that fits your needs. Most of the insurance coverage they present will fall under one or a mix of the following:
If you unintentionally cause damage to another property the insurance covers your liability. This also includes any injury that happens to other people while they’re within your property. Liability coverage won’t cover injury to household members. Check with your insurance broker for clarification.
Personal Property Coverage
This provides insurance for all the possessions in your home, including the parked vehicle on your premises. Should you forget to bring your laptop inside the house and it gets stolen, you can make a claim for it. Just check with your insurance broker in regard to submitting the necessary documents such as a police report.
You’ll need to have a list of all your personal property stored in your home. You must note the brand, year, serial numbers or codes, and values. If you have receipts for expensive items, keep them. Take a photo of your possessions.
This is the basic and most important insurance coverage every insurance broker offers. Dwelling Coverage assures that your home is covered in the event of partial or total damage. Including a condo.
Often, basic home coverage will include some cover for the contents too. The shed and garage should also be covered. Limits may be in place, so confirm related conditions and terms with your insurance broker.
In having this home insurance, you need to make sure what the cost of replacement is, as that is the amount you can claim when the need arises. Replacement value is how much it costs to replace your home. This is different from the market value of your home property.
How do you calculate the replacement value? The following information will help your insurance broker and company assess the right value to replace your home:
- year of construction
- square footage
- type of use (whether for multi-families or a single family)
- type of home (whether two-story, single level, or bungalow)
- foundation used
- with or without a basement
- number of garages, kitchens, and their sizes
- construction material used, and
- roofing materials used
Contributing Factors and How Home Insurance is Calculated
Let’s talk about factors that contribute to how providers calculate the cost of your insurance premium. These factors either raise or lower the cost of your insurance based on the risk they pose.
- The type of home you have may bear high or low values. Likewise, it may bear higher or lower risks. Is it for one household? Is it a rental property?
- The type of construction material used increases or decreases the value of your property.
- The age and size influence the property value straight away.
- The presence of heating systems influences both values and risks.
- The proximity to a fire station or hydrant indicates the level of risk.
- Lastly, the history of crime and fire in your home location increases risks and insurance prices.
We should also mention that the amount of deductible is a determining factor in the calculation of your insurance premium. If you are satisfied with your home insurance but want to lower your monthly contributions, you can increase your deductibles. Your participation costs will go up but your monthly payments will go down.
The Bottom Line
Home property insurance is an essential cover for homeowners and tenants who want financial security in times of unforeseen events. If you prize your home as a most valuable asset, taking out protection for it is the logical next step.
Consider the mix of cover you need. Then speak to an insurance broker that is experienced and knowledgeable about different types of coverage. They will be able to find your insurance at competitive prices you can choose from.