Pet Insurance Edmonton
Most people who own pets see them as part of their families. If that sounds like you, do your family members have insurance? Probably! So your pets should as well.
Getting pet insurance to cover your animals in case of an emergency is essential, and we want to help you do that.
To save you time, we found two of the best pet insurance providers serving Edmonton, Alberta, Petplan and Trupanion. Check out the pros and cons of each below! Or, visit Petplan now!
First and best on our list of the best pet insurance in Canada is Petplan.
- Petplan is a super reputable pet insurance company and has been around since 2006.
- They offer good discounts to help you save money. You can get 5% off your pet insurance plan if you purchase it online. You can also get a 15% discount if you make no claims within 12-months this discount caps at 30%.
- Their plan offers a lot of coverage as your exam fees for sick visits are covered. Things that are normally considered optional are covered as well. For example, if you miss a vacation because your pet is sick.
- Services such as dental, chiropractic, and hydrotherapy are also included.
- Chronic conditions, as well as hereditary and congenital diseases, are covered.
- Payouts should occur within five to seven days.
- Petplan has an app to make filing a claim super easy. You can also make a claim on their website.
- You will receive accident and injury benefits within 24 hours of purchasing your pet insurance. You will receive illness benefits in two weeks.
- Petplan covers up to 90% of your pet’s medical costs.
- There is no age limit for your pet, so they can receive coverage at any point in their life.
- All of your vet payments will need to be out of pocket as Petplan reimburses your money afterward. They tend to require a lot of documentation from you and your vet to make a claim as well.
- Your pets will have to receive health and dental check-ups every year. If you don’t comply, they may not be covered for that period.
- If you notice any symptoms of illness or injury, you need to bring your pet to the vet within 48 hours. If you don’t, they may not be covered.
- The Petplan monthly premiums are considered on the higher side compared to other pet insurance companies.
- There is a $3.50 processing fee to make payments with a credit card.
Petplan is a well-known Canada pet insurance company as they have been around since 2006 in North America. Though, their pet insurance is starting to lag behind other companies. Their policies are good, but their premiums are not very competitive comparatively.
That being said, their reputation proceeds them, and they have great customer care so you and your pet will be properly taken care of.
If you want insurance for pets, Canada, you likely want the most comprehensive one. Trupanion is one of the pet insurance companies to insure with.
- Trupanion only offers one standard pet insurance plan. This may not seem like a pro, but it makes getting insured easier as you don’t need to think about what the best policy would be.
- This comprehensive plan covers new injuries or illnesses related to unidentified issues and hereditary or congenital conditions.
- They offer 24/7 customer service. Your pet could get sick or injured at any time, and Trupanion recognizes that.
- There is no payout limit with this coverage, and up to 90% of your claim will be covered.
- You can choose how much of a deductible you want to pay. It ranges from $0 to $1,000. The deductible is not annual either; it is only paid for each new condition your pet develops.
- You can add optional coverage for pet owner related fees and non-clinical services.
- Although it is called comprehensive coverage, it is not all-encompassing. Exam fees are not covered. Neither is preventative care such as flea control, vaccinations, or de-worming.
- Monthly premiums are higher than other companies that offer pet insurance in Canada. This is especially true if you have a low deductible.
- Trupanion charges an administrative fee of $34 to new customers.
- Your pet will not be covered right away. There is a 30 day waiting period for your pet to be fully covered.
- A per-condition deductible could end up being more expensive. For example, if your pet develops multiple conditions in a year, you will end up paying more.
- If you paid out of pocket for your fees, it might take up to 60 days for you to get your money back.
Despite the few cons, this pet insurance policy has, it is still one of Canada’s best pet insurance policies. Trupanion values its customers and offers 24/7 assistance. Similarly, they are very clear in outlining their insurance coverage, so customers are not confused about what is covered and what is not.
If you want to customize your insurance coverage, there are two optional add-ons for not much money. How much you pay for your deductible is also up to you so, if you want a free, no-pressure quote, head over to Trupanion’s website!
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Many pet owners aren’t sure how pet insurance, Canada, works. But it’s not as complicated as you might think! It is very similar to health insurance and car insurance. You pay either a monthly or yearly premium to an insurer. This will then cover your pet if they fall sick or they are injured in an accident. What coverage they receive depends on the company and policy you pick.
Generally, pets will be covered in case of accidents, if they need to be hospitalized, receive emergency care, have surgery, come down with any illnesses (chronic or otherwise), and if they need medicine.
Additional add-ons are available as well for things like chiropractic care, or if they get lost, money spent to find them will be covered.
Just as health insurance tends to be more expensive for humans if we are older or have a pre-existing condition, the same goes for animals. Older animals and bigger animals tend to be charged a higher premium as they are seen as more of a liability.
In addition to a monthly fee, you will likely also have to pay a deductible to make a claim. You can usually choose how much of a deductible you want to pay. But, the lower your deductible is, the higher your monthly fee will be.
Every pet’s insurance needs are different, so make sure the policy you’re looking at fits both with your budget and your needs.
The Bottom Line
Insurance may seem like a waste as we often don’t need to claim anything. But, what would happen if you did need to pay for vet bills and couldn’t afford them? It’s always better not to take that risk.
Trupanion and Petplan are just two of the best insurance providers for animals in Canada. But, there are many more, such as Petline Insurance Company and Western Financial.
It’s better to be safe than sorry. Get insurance for your furry family members today!