Most people who own pets see them as part of their families. If that sounds like you, do your family members have insurance? Probably! So your pets should as well.
Getting pet insurance to cover your animals in case of an emergency is essential, and we want to help you do that.
To save you time, we found two of the best pet insurance providers serving Edmonton, Alberta, Petplan and Trupanion. Check out the pros and cons of each below! Moreover, when it comes to other towns and provinces, check out our reviews of the best pet insurances in Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Quebec and Ontario.
Pet Insurance Edmonton Reviews
The first and best on our list of the best pet insurance in Canada is Petplan. Petplan was originally founded in the U.S. but is now one of the most popular pet insurance providers in Canada. Founded by pet lovers, Petplan aims to offer comprehensive coverage for your pet at an affordable price. They offer peace of mind without extortionate costs.
Their policies are completely customizable. They offer coverage for dogs and cats of all breeds and ages. Petplan claims to offer the most comprehensive pet coverage in North America. Their pet insurance policies include:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
Coverage prices are based on a number of factors including the breed and age of your pet, your annual coverage amount and your deductible. You can choose from three different deductibles and three different annual limits. You can also choose from three reimbursement levels. On average, Petplan provides dog insurance for $35 per month and cat insurance for $25 per month. These prices can vary depending on your pet and the level of coverage you require.
Making an insurance claim through Petplan is quick and simple. You first need to log into your account via the website or mobile app. You can complete the claims form and send it via email, alongside any vet receipts. Alternatively, you can print the form off and send it via mail or fax. You must submit your claim within 90 days, from the date of treatment.
Petplan’s website also provides some excellent educational resources. This includes information about pet health, animal safety, and insurance tips. This shows Petplan’s dedication to pets and sets them apart from other pet insurance providers.
To help you decide if Petplan is the best insurance provider for your pet, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons.
- Petplan is a super reputable pet insurance company and has been around since 2007.
- They offer good discounts to help you save money. You can get 5% off your pet insurance plan if you purchase it online. You can also get a 15% discount if you make no claims within 12-months this discount caps at 30%.
- Their plan offers a lot of coverage as your exam fees for sick visits are covered. Things that are normally considered optional are covered as well. For example, if you miss a vacation because your pet is sick.
- Services such as dental, chiropractic, and hydrotherapy are also included.
- Chronic conditions, as well as hereditary and congenital diseases, are covered.
- Pay-outs should occur within five to seven days. This is much faster than many of Petplan’s competitors.
- Petplan has an app to make filing a claim super easy. You can also make a claim on their website.
- You will receive accident and injury benefits within 24 hours of purchasing your pet insurance. You will receive illness benefits in two weeks.
- Petplan covers up to 90% of your pet’s medical costs.
- There is no upper age limit for your pet. They can receive coverage at any point in their life, after 6 weeks of age.
- Flexible pricing options are available to suit your budget.
- Plans can cover breed-specific conditions.
- You can visit any licensed vet in Canada or the U.S. under your Petplan coverage.
- There are no sign-up fees and no add-ons to worry about. The price you see is the price you pay.
- 24/7 customer services are available. This means you can always contact Petplan in the event of an emergency.
- Petplan has an A+ rating with Better Business Bureau (BBB). This is the highest possible rating.
- All of your vet payments will need to be out of pocket as Petplan reimburses your money afterward. They tend to require a lot of documentation from you and your vet to make a claim as well.
- Your pets will have to receive health and dental check-ups every year. If you don’t comply, they may not be covered for that period.
- If you notice any symptoms of illness or injury, you need to take your pet to the vet within 48 hours. If you don’t, they may not be covered.
- The Petplan monthly premiums are considered on the higher side compared to other pet insurance companies.
- There is a $3.50 processing fee to make payments with a credit card.
Petplan is a well-known pet insurance company in Canada. They have been operating in North America since 2003. They have built a reputation as being a reliable trustworthy insurance provider.
Petplan currently only offers pet insurance for cats and dogs. This means you cannot insure other pets that may require expensive veterinary care, such as reptiles and birds. Petplan is also beginning to be outpriced by some of its cheaper competitors.
That being said, their reputation proceeds them, and they have great customer care so you and your pet will be properly taken care of. If you are looking for a pet insurance provider who genuinely cares about animals and offers comprehensive coverage to your pet, look no further than Petplan.
Visit their website today for more information.
If you want insurance for pets, Canada, you likely want the most comprehensive one. Trupanion is one of the pet insurance companies to insure with. Trupanion is one of the most well-known providers of pet insurance in Canada.
First launched in 2000, Trupanion now provides pet insurance in Canada, the U.S. and Australia. They offer simple, fair, and affordable pet insurance to provide peace of mind to pet owners. Trupanion has paid out more than $1 billion in pet insurance claims so far.
Trupanion is one of the only pet insurance providers in the country that pays the vet directly. This means you are never out of pocket. All insurance plans include up to 90% coverage. Trupanion has one single base plan for their pet insurance. If you require additional coverage, Trupanion offers two policy enhancements:
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – This includes additional coverage for alternative treatments. Acupuncture, Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, Rehabilitation and Chiropractic Treatment are all covered.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – Coverage that is not limited to the vet. This includes advertising and rewards for lost pets, boarding fees if you are hospitalized and liability coverage. Cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled and burial or cremation costs are also included.
There are also hundreds of price options available to suit your budget. You can choose a deductible ranging from $0-$1,000. The higher your deductible, the lower your monthly premium
Their comprehensive coverage includes:
- Hereditary conditions, including elbow or hip dysplasia, diabetes, and thyroid disease.
- Unidentified conditions that your vet is unable to diagnose.
- Congenital conditions that your pet developed before birth.
- Breed-specific conditions.
- Unexpected injuries or illnesses.
A variety of medical procedures are covered under Trupanion’s basic coverage, including:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Trupanion’s pet insurance plan.
- Trupanion offers unlimited pay-outs. There are no per incident, annual or lifetime limits.
- Direct payment to your vet is offered as standard. This can save you paying thousands out of pocket.
Trupanion’s pricing is extremely competitive. They offer monthly payment or deductible options that are cheaper than many of their competitors.
- Trupanion will never raise the cost of your policy because of your pet’s age.
- The cost of your policy will not raise if your pet develops multiple conditions.
- They offer 24/7 customer service. Your pet could get sick or injured at any time, and Trupanion recognizes that.
- There is no pay-out limit with this coverage, and up to 90% of your claim will be covered.
- You can choose how much of a deductible you want to pay. It ranges from $0 to $1,000. The deductible is not annual either; it is only paid for each new condition your pet develops.
- You can change your deductible within 30 days of taking out your policy.
- You can add optional coverage for pet owner related fees and non-clinical services.
- Trupanion has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A-.
- Trupanion is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA). This means they support animal welfare organizations and follow guidelines set out by regulators.
- You can get a free no-obligation quote on their website. This allows you to see a price for your pet insurance.
- Although it is called comprehensive coverage, it is not all-encompassing. Exam fees are not covered. Neither is preventative care such as flea control, vaccinations, or de-worming.
- Monthly premiums are higher than other companies that offer pet insurance in Canada. This is especially true if you have a low deductible.
- Trupanion charges an administrative fee of $34 to new customers.
- Your pet will not be covered right away. There is a 30-day waiting period for your pet to be fully covered.
- A per-condition deductible could end up being more expensive. For example, if your pet develops multiple conditions in a year, you will end up paying more.
- If you paid out of pocket for your fees, it might take up to 60 days for you to get your money back.
Despite the few cons, this pet insurance policy has, it is still one of Canada’s best pet insurance policies. Trupanion values its customers and offers 24/7 assistance. Similarly, they are very clear in outlining their insurance coverage, so customers are not confused about what is covered and what is not.
Trupanion offers hassle-free, easy-to-understand pet insurance coverage. They have a high reimbursement rate at an affordable monthly cost. Best of all, fees can be paid directly to the vet, meaning you are never out of pocket.
Trupanion’s pet insurance plans are not as customizable as some of its competitors. They also only offer coverage for cats and dogs.
However, if you want to customize your insurance coverage, there are two optional add-ons for not much money. How much you pay for your deductible is also up to you. You can receive a free, no-obligation quote quickly and easily. Head over to Trupanion’s website today to see the cost of your pet insurance.
Insurdinary is an easy-to-use insurance quotes comparison website. They are partnered with more than 50 insurance providers across Canada to give you access to the best rates for your pet insurance. You can access quotes and compare plans and choose the best insurance for your pet, all at the click of a button.
Insurdinary boasts more than 50,000 monthly users. Searching for pet insurance on an insurance comparison site is becoming hugely popular in Canada. Insurdinary allows you to view multiple quotes at once so you can ensure you have the best insurance for the lowest price.
All you need to do is input information about you and your pet. Insurdinary will also ask you which pet insurance features are most important to you. You will then be provided with a list of insurance providers that meet these criteria. This whole process takes less than 5 minutes!
Insurdinary offers three different types of pet insurance:
- Standard Coverage – This includes coverage for accidents and sudden illnesses. Medical emergencies, surgery, emergency care and hospitalization.
- Intermediate Coverage– This offers additional coverage for things such as check-ups and vaccinations.
- Advanced Coverage – This offers advanced coverage such as alternative treatments and dental coverage. Prescription coverage is also included.
Insurdinary aims to educate you on choosing the best pet insurance policy. They help you to compare quotes from multiple insurance providers. You can then apply for your chosen insurance policy completely free of charge.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of using Insurdinary’s pet insurance search engine.
- There are no hidden fees to worry about. The price you see is the price you will pay.
- You do not have to pay any upfront costs.
- No deposit is required. You only pay when you sign up for a policy.
- Insurdinary is partnered with some of the top financial companies in Canada.
- The website has some useful tips on how to find the perfect pet insurance at the lowest cost.
- It is completely free to view your pet insurance quotes. There is no obligation required.
- Insurdinary provides free education blogs on its website for a range of topics. This includes information about pet insurance.
- The response time when requesting insurance quotes is 1-5 minutes. Insurdinary makes the process quick, easy, and stress-free.
- Customer services can be contacted over the phone, online or via email. Customer support is also available 24/7.
- You can bundle your pet insurance with other insurance products for cheaper rates.
- Only cats and dogs are eligible for an insurance policy.
- If your pet is over 14 years of age, Insurdinary does not supply pet insurance.
- Pet insurance is not provided by Insurdinary. This means if you have any issues, you may not be able to contact them directly.
Using an insurance comparison site to search for your pet insurance could be a financially smart decision. It gives you access to multiple insurance providers and allows you to choose from various insurance plans. This helps you to choose the best insurance for your pet, at the best price.
However, Insurdinary is not a specialist pet insurance provider. They offer a variety of financial products and do not specialize in pets. This could be a disadvantage to some pet owners, who want an insurance provider who has a thorough understanding and passion for pets and pet insurance.
If you would like to access multiple insurance providers and are looking to pay the lowest price possible for your pet insurance, Insurdinary could be a great option for you. Their insurance quotes are free and have no obligation. Why no visit their website today for more information?
Petsecure has been operating since 1989 and is the oldest pet insurance provider in Canada. They have grown to become the largest pet insurance provider in the country. They are a 100% Canadian-owned company.
Petsecure offers four different coverage levels. All coverage includes some level of accident illness and dental coverage.
- Secure 1 – Coverage includes $1,000 per accident, $1,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $200 dental coverage. Secure 1 is recommended for those who want to keep their premiums low and are willing to pay for conditions that exceed the coverage level.
- Secure 2 – Coverage includes $2,500 per accident, $2,500 illness coverage per condition per year and $300 dental coverage. Secure 2 is recommended for those who want a more standard coverage, but with relatively low premiums.
- Secure 3 – Coverage includes $5,000 pet accident, $5,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $400 dental coverage. This is recommended for pet owners who want comprehensive, top-rate coverage.
- Secure 4 – Unlimited coverage for accidents and illnesses and $600 per year for dental coverage. Wellness coverage and preventative care are also included. Secure 4 is recommended if you do not want annual or per-condition limits.
Policy prices can vary based on the age and breed of your pet, its health, and any pre-existing conditions. There are several deductible options available. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly payments will be.
A variety of coverage is included in Petsecure’s plans, including:
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescriptions and medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
You can quickly and easily browse Petsecure’s plans and get a quote for your pet. The waiting period for accidents is 48 hours after you purchase the plan. Illnesses are covered after 14 days and dental care after 6 months.
To make a claim, you will first have to pay your vet bill. Your vet must then help you complete a claims form and sign it. You should then send the form with any veterinary receipts to Petsecure. They can then reimburse you via cheque or direct deposit.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of choosing Petsecure as your pet insurance provider.
- Petsecure reimburses up to 80% of treatment costs and examination fees.
- Multi-pet discounts are available.
- Additional non-veterinary benefits are included in Petsecure’s plans. This includes boarding fees if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards. Cremation or burial costs and holiday cancellation coverage are also included.
- Claims can be submitted any time within 6 months of treatment.
- You can choose whether to be reimbursed by cheque or direct deposit.
- The annual wellness coverage includes check-ups, vaccinations, and flea treatments.
- Petsecure should respond to your claim within 7-10 days.
- You can receive a quote from Petsecure free of charge. The quote is obligation-free. You can also compare the cost of the different coverage levels.
- The upper age limit for pet insurance is low. Pets above 8 years old must also undergo physical exams, blood profiles and urinalysis in order to qualify for a pet insurance plan.
- The more advanced coverage options are quite expensive. Some of Petsecure’s competitors offer similar coverage for a lower price.
Petsecure is a great option for those who want to choose from different coverage levels. The Secure 1 and Secure 2 coverage options offer cheap monthly premiums, although the amount of coverage your pet will receive is limited.
The more comprehensive coverage options can be quite expensive. In this sense, Petsecure is outpriced by many of its competitors.
If you are looking for a higher coverage level, Petsecure may not be the best option. However, if you are looking for a low-priced policy with basic coverage, Petsecure offers some great insurance options.
Visit Petsecure’s website today for more information.
5. Pets Plus Us
Pets Plus Us is a relative newcomer to the pet insurance market. They are a dedicated pet insurance provider and offer insurance for cats and dogs.
Pets Plus Us offers two main insurance options:
- Accident – $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Pets Plus Us will reimburse up to 80% of the veterinary fees. The annual deductible is $100, but you only pay this if you make a claim that year. Coverage includes:
- Accident and Illness – Two coverage options are available, $7,500 or $15,00 annually. You can also choose how much of the veterinary fees are covered by your insurance, 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the deductible will depend on the age of your pet. Coverage includes:
Pets Plus Us covers veterinary care from any licensed vet in Canada or the U.S. Claims can be submitted at any point within 6 months of the treatment. You must have paid your bill in full and have a final, valid invoice to submit with your reimbursement request. Claims usually take between 15-20 calendar days to process. Claims can be submitted online or via email, mail, or fax.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Pets Plus Us.
- There is no upper age limit for Pets Plus Us insurance.
- Pets Plus Us offers a 4Life Guarantee. Once you have enrolled for coverage, benefits are guaranteed to renew every year.
- All Pets Plus Us customers also get exclusive access to Blue Ribbon Benefits. This offers access to a 24/7 emergency vet line, a pet poison helpline, and a compassionate care line. You will also get emergency medical coverage of up to $1,000 and access to a pet concierge service.
- All insurance plans include $1,000 in additional benefits. This can be used for pet boarding if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards and cremation or burial.
- You can choose to add the Flex Care Policy to your insurance plan. This offers you additional coverage options for wellness care. For example, neutering, de-worming, fecal testing, heartworm testing, and dental care are included.
- Pets Plus Us’ website is a one-stop shop for all things pet-related. They offer educational articles on a variety of pet-related topics and information about pet ownership. There is also a blog and a free e-newsletter.
- Dental treatment and wellness care are not included.
- Pets over 8 years of age must have had a physical exam, blood analysis and urinalysis within the last two months to qualify for insurance.
Pets Plus Us offers some great coverage options, depending on your needs. The annual deductible can be a huge advantage for those who are likely to make more than one claim in a year.
However, other insurance providers offer you the option to choose your own deductible, which can raise or lower your monthly premium. If this is something you are interested in, Pets Plus Us may not be the best option for you.
Pets Plus Us has some great advantages to its pet insurance policies. You can receive a free quote on their website, with no obligation required. Visit Pets Plus Us today, for more information.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Many pet owners aren’t sure how pet insurance, Canada, works. But it’s not as complicated as you might think! It is very similar to health insurance and car insurance. You pay either a monthly or yearly premium to an insurer. This will then cover your pet if they fall sick or are injured in an accident. What coverage they receive depends on the company and policy you pick.
Generally, pets will be covered in case of accidents, if they need to be hospitalized, receive emergency care, have surgery, come down with any illnesses (chronic or otherwise), and if they need medicine.
Additional add-ons are available as well for things like chiropractic care, or if they get lost, money spent to find them will be covered.
Just as health insurance tends to be more expensive for humans if we are older or have a pre-existing condition, the same goes for cats and dogs, and animals in general. Older animals and bigger animals tend to be charged a higher premium as they are seen as more of a liability.
In addition to a monthly fee, you will likely also have to pay a deductible to make a claim. You can usually choose how much of a deductible you want to pay. But, the lower your deductible is, the higher your monthly fee will be.
Every pet’s insurance needs are different, so make sure the policy you’re looking at fits both with your budget and your needs.
The Bottom Line
Insurance may seem like a waste as we often don’t need to claim anything. But, what would happen if you did need to pay for vet bills and couldn’t afford them? It’s always better not to take that risk.
Trupanion and Petplan are just two of the best insurance providers for animals in Canada. Insurdinary, Petsecure and Pets Plus Us are also excellent providers of pet insurance.
It’s better to be safe than sorry. Get insurance for your furry family members today!