Pet Insurance Winnipeg
Many Canadians have animals at home that quickly become part of their family. Just as you would want to protect your family members by insuring them, you want to protect your animals as well. The good news is that Canada has many great providers to keep your pets as protected as possible. You never know when an accident could occur.
We’ve looked at two of the most popular providers in Canada, Trupanion and Petplan. Continue reading to learn more about their policies and the pros and cons of each!
Table of Contents
If you’re a pet owner looking for the best Canadian pet insurance, look no further! Trupanion offers one of the most comprehensive pet insurance plans in the country. Here’s a deeper look into their coverage.
- This pet insurance company offers customer service 24/7. You never know when you will have a pet emergency, so being able to contact customer care at any time is a great pro.
- There is only one standard pet insurance plan with Trupanion. This means you won’t be confused about what the best pet insurance policy is for your cat or dog.
- There are no payout limits, and Trupanion covers 90% of your vet bills after your deductible.
- You can choose the deductible you want to pay from $0 to $1,000. The higher deductible, the lower your monthly premium will be. This deductible is paid whenever your pet has a new condition, rather than yearly.
- Trupanion covers new injuries or illnesses related to hereditary conditions, unidentified issues, and congenital conditions.
- Optional coverage is available for non-clinical services and further assistance for pet owners.
- Your animals will not be covered right away. There is only a five day waiting period to claim injuries. But, a thirty-day waiting period to claim illnesses.
- This plan doesn’t cover everything. Exam fees are not covered. Preventative care such as de-worming, flea control, and vaccinations are not covered. Neither are pre-existing conditions.
- If you have a low deductible, monthly premiums are high compared to other pet insurance in Canada.
- There is an administrative fee of $34 for new customers.
- If your pet develops more than one condition a year, your deductible will be higher.
There will always be pros and cons to every service or product. Regardless of the cons, Trupanion offers one of the best pet insurance policies in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Their standard comprehensive coverage is easy to understand and use. What your pet is covered for is quite clear, and if it’s not, service from Trupanion is available 24/7.
If the standard policy isn’t enough, there are a lot of great add-ons for a fairly low price. What deductible you pay is completely up to you as well, so your policy is adjustable. If you want a free quote for great pet insurance in Canada, head to Trupanion’s website today.
The next pet insurance Canada we’re going to look at is Petplan.
- Petplan offers pretty good discounts. They offer a welcome discount of 5% off of your purchase your plan online.
- You can also get a discount if you don’t make any claims with your coverage. If you don’t make any claims for a year, you can receive 15% off, up to a maximum of 30%.
- They offer a standard, comprehensive plan. It will cover any chronic condition, hereditary, or congenital disease.
- This plan also tends to cover more than most insurance companies do. Your exam fees for sick visits are covered. As well as coverage for lost pets or lost vacations due to pet illness.
- If all of your paperwork is in order, your claim should be repaid within five to seven days.
- If you need coverage quickly, you can get it with this plan. You only need to wait 24 hours for accident and injury benefits. Illness benefits, however, will be available after two weeks.
- Making these claims is easy, as Petplan has an app. Alternatively, you can make a claim on their website.
- Coverage is up to 90% of vet medical costs. If your animals have an accident or get an injury/ illness, they will be covered.
- Some insurance companies bill your vet directly. Petplan does not, though. This means reimbursement can sometimes be delayed, especially if you don’t include all the necessary documentation.
- You only have 48 hours to bring your pets to the vet once you notice an injury or illness. If you don’t, they won’t be covered.
- Petplan requires your pets to have annual health and dental check-ups. They could lose coverage if they don’t.
- There is a processing fee of $3.50 when making monthly or quarterly payments with a credit card.
- Premiums are considered high compared to many Canada based pet insurance providers.
Petplan is one of the most reputable insurance providers in Canada and the United States. They have been in Canada since 2006. That said, this company is having to compete with the likes of Trupanion now.
Petplan has many more requirements than other companies, such as annual check-ups. Their premiums are also on the higher side. They are still a good choice, though, due to their solid reputation and comprehensive plan.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Health or car insurance in Canada is similar to insurance for a pet. You typically pay a monthly premium to a provider for it. Then, if your animal gets sick or injured, the insurer will either pay or reimburse you for part of the fees you have to spend at the vet.
Depending on your plan, your insurance should cover accidents, illnesses, hospitalization, emergency care, surgery, and prescriptions. Most plans also have optional add-ons to cover more aspects of owning an animal. This could be anything from chiropractic treatment to covering the cost of ‘lost’ signs.
The cost of insurance for your animals depends on a few factors. Larger and older animals typically have a higher premium. This is because they will potentially need to go to the vet more often. Your rate will also depend on your specific plan and deductible.
Most plans state that you have to pay a deductible (anywhere from $0 to $1000) to then be reimbursed. The higher your deductible, the lower your monthly fee will be. Some plans will charge a deductible annually or per condition.
How you pay your vet will also depend on the insurance company. Some will pay the vet directly, or some will reimburse you after you pay out of pocket.
Each provider will operate differently, so it is important that you understand your plan fully before agreeing to it.
The Bottom Line
Even if you don’t see insurance for your pet as a necessity, it always better to be safe than sorry. Your animal should be part of your family, and protecting them in any scenario is important.
These are just two of the best insurance providers for animals in Canada, but there are many more. Such as Petline Insurance Company or Petsecure Canada.
Get insurance for your furry friends today to avoid paying huge amounts for treatment down the line.