Pet Insurance Winnipeg
Many Canadians have animals at home that quickly become part of their family. Just as you would want to protect your family members by insuring them, you want to protect your animals as well. The good news is that Canada has many great providers to keep your pets as protected as possible. You never know when an accident could occur.
We’ve looked at five of the most popular providers in Canada, Trupanion, Petplan, Insurdinary, Petsecure, and Pets Plus Us. Continue reading to learn more about their policies and the pros and cons of each! In addition, go through our reviews of the best pet insurances in Ottawa, Vancouver, Edmonton, and also Quebec and Toronto.
Our top choice for pet insurance in Winnipeg is Petplan. Petplan has become one of the most popular pet insurance providers in Canada. They operate in Canada and the U.S. and have more than 40 years of experience in the pet insurance industry. Petplan claims to offer the most comprehensive pet coverage in all of North America.
Petplan aims to provide affordable coverage. Cats and dogs of all ages and breeds qualify for Petplan insurance. The insurance policies are completely customizable. Coverage that is offered by Petplan includes:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Holistic care.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
- Dental illness and injury.
When supplying your insurance quote, Petplan will consider the type of pet you own, its age and its breed. You can then edit your monthly repayment options by modifying how much you pay for the following features:
- Maximum annual benefit – This is the maximum amount you can be reimbursed each year. The lower your annual benefit, the lower your monthly premium will be. Annual benefits range from $2,500 to unlimited.
- Annual deductible – This is the fixed amount you are responsible for paying before you are covered by insurance. A higher deductible results in a lower monthly premium. Deductibles range from $100-$1,000.
- Reimbursement amount– This is the percentage of each vet bill that will be reimbursed to you. The higher the reimbursement percentage, the lower the monthly premium. Petplan offers 70%, 80% and 90% reimbursement options.
The average monthly premium for Petplan insurance is $35 per month for dogs and $25 for cats. Your insurance coverage will not begin immediately. Accident and emergency coverage begins after 24 hours and illness coverage after 14 days.
If you need to make a claim, the claims form is available on the website or mobile app. It can be submitted via email or printed off and sent by mails or fax. Petplan usually reimburses claims within 7-10 days.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Petplan’s pet insurance.
- Petplan offers great discounts. They offer a welcome discount of 5% off of your purchase plan online.
- You can also get a discount if you don’t make any claims with your coverage. If you don’t make any claims for a year, you can receive 15% off, up to a maximum of 30%.
- Flexible pricing options are available.
- They offer a standard, comprehensive plan. It will cover any chronic condition, hereditary, or congenital disease.
- This plan also tends to cover more than most insurance companies do. Your exam fees for sick visits are covered. As well as coverage for lost pets or lost vacations due to pet illness.
- If all of your paperwork is in order, your claim should be repaid within five to seven days. This is faster than the industry average
- If you need coverage quickly, you can get it with this plan. You only need to wait 24 hours for accident and injury benefits. Illness benefits, however, will be available after two weeks.
- Making these claims is easy, as Petplan has an app. Alternatively, you can make a claim on their website.
- Coverage is up to 90% of vet medical costs. If your animals have an accident or get an injury/ illness, they will be covered.
- Petplan’s website provides some excellent educational resources. This includes information about pet health, animal safety, and insurance tips.
- There is no upper age limit for Petplan’s insurance.
- Visits to any licensed vet in Canada or the U.S. are covered by Petplan’s insurance.
- Customer services are available 24 hours a day.
- Petplan has an A+ rating with Better Business Bureau (BBB). This is the highest possible rating.
- Petplan offers transparent pricing. There are no sign-up fees or additional charges to worry about.
- Some insurance companies bill your vet directly. Petplan does not, though. This means reimbursement can sometimes be delayed, especially if you don’t include all the necessary documentation.
- You only have 48 hours to bring your pets to the vet once you notice an injury or illness. If you don’t, they won’t be covered.
- Petplan requires your pets to have annual health and dental check-ups. They could lose coverage if they don’t.
- There is a processing fee of $3.50 when making monthly or quarterly payments with a credit card.
- Premiums are considered high compared to many Canada-based pet insurance providers.
Petplan is one of the most reputable insurance providers in Canada and the United States. They have been in Canada since 2006. That said, this company is having to compete with the likes of Trupanion now and is being outpriced by cheaper insurance providers.
Petplan has many more requirements than other companies, such as annual check-ups. Their premiums are also on the higher side. They are still a good choice, though, due to their solid reputation and comprehensive plan.
Petplan genuinely cares about your pet and offers excellent customer service. Their claims process is easy and stress-free. They also offer some great discounts to qualifying customers.
Visit Petplan’s website today for your free, no-obligation quote or to receive additional information about their insurance policies.
If you’re a pet owner looking for the best Canadian pet insurance, look no further! Trupanion offers one of the most comprehensive pet insurance plans in the country. Trupanion has been providing pet insurance for more than 20 years. They are leading pet insurers in Canada, the U.S. and Australia. Trupanion has paid out more than $1 billion in insurance claims so far.
Trupanion is one of the only pet insurance providers in Canada to offer direct to vet payments. Once your pet has received treatment, Trupanion will make a payment directly to the vet. Up to 90% of your bill is covered. This means you will only be liable for the remaining 10%, plus your deductible.
To simply pet insurance, Trupanion offers one single insurance plan, with comprehensive coverage that includes:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
- Hereditary conditions, including elbow or hip dysplasia, diabetes, and thyroid disease.
- Unidentified conditions that your vet is unable to diagnose.
- Congenital conditions that your pet developed before birth.
- Breed-specific conditions.
- Unexpected injuries or illnesses.
Additional coverage is also available with two different policy enhancements:
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – Alternative treatments such as Acupuncture and Chiropractic Treatment are covered. Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, and Rehabilitation are also included with this enhancement.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – This is coverage that is not limited to the vet. It includes advertising and rewards for lost pets, boarding fees if you are hospitalized and liability coverage. Cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled and burial or cremation costs are also included.
Trupanion also gives you the option to choose your own deductible, from $0-$1,000. Choosing a higher deductible can help you to lower your monthly premium. A deductible must be paid for each new condition your pet develops. You can change your deductible within the first 30 days free of charge.
If you are still unsure, here’s a deeper look into Trupanion’s coverage.
- This pet insurance company offers customer service 24/7. You never know when you will have a pet emergency, so being able to contact customer care at any time is a great pro.
- There is only one standard pet insurance plan with Trupanion. This means you won’t be confused about what the best pet insurance for your cat or a policy for your dog is.
- There are no per-incident, annual or lifetime payout limits.
- Trupanion covers 90% of your vet bills after your deductible.
- You can choose the deductible you want to pay from $0 to $1,000. The higher deductible, the lower your monthly premium will be. This deductible is paid whenever your pet has a new condition, rather than yearly.
- Trupanion covers new injuries or illnesses related to hereditary conditions, unidentified issues, and congenital conditions.
- Optional coverage is available for non-clinical services and further assistance for pet owners.
- Payment is made directly to your vet, meaning you are never out of pocket.
- Additional coverage is available including hydrotherapy, chiropractic treatment and acupuncture.
- Trupanion has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A-, one of the highest possible ratings.
- Trupanion does not raise the cost of your policy based on the age of your pet or any conditions they develop.
- Your pets will not be covered right away. There is only a five-day waiting period to claim injuries. However, there is a thirty-day waiting period to claim for illnesses – longer than the industry average.
- This plan doesn’t cover everything. Exam fees are not covered. Preventative care such as deworming, flea control, and vaccinations are not covered. Neither are pre-existing conditions.
- If you have a low deductible, monthly premiums are high compared to other pet insurance in Canada.
- There is an administrative fee of $34 for new customers.
- If your pet develops more than one condition a year, your deductible will be higher.
- It can take up to 60 days for Trupanion to pay out on a claim.
There will always be pros and cons to every service or product. Regardless of the cons, Trupanion offers one of the best pet insurance policies in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Their standard comprehensive coverage is easy to understand and use. What your pet is covered for is quite clear, and if it’s not, service from Trupanion is available 24/7.
Trupanion offers a high reimbursement rate with a deductible amount of your choice. One of the biggest advantages of their pet insurance policies is payments being made directly to the vet. This means you never have to pay out of pocket.
For someone who is looking to choose from a variety of coverage options, Trupanion may not be the best option.
However, there are a lot of great add-ons for a fairly low price. What deductible you pay is completely up to you as well, so your policy is adjustable. If you want a free quote for great pet insurance in Canada, head to Trupanion’s website today.
Insurdinary is a free easy to use insurance quotes comparison site. They are partnered with a wide range of pet insurance providers across Canada. This gives you access to the cheapest pet insurance quotes in Winnipeg. Insurdinary provides you with a list of tailored insurance quotes. You can compare the quotes and choose the best insurance for your pet’s needs.
Insurdinary only partners with the top insurance providers in the country. They are partnered with more than 50 fully licensed insurance providers. Insurdinary currently boasts more than 50,000 monthly users.
Searching for your pet insurance quotes is quick and easy. Insurdinary will ask you to provide information such as the age and breed of your pet. You will also be asked which pet insurance features are most important for your policy.
You will then have access to a list of insurance providers and plans that best suit your requirements. There are three different types of pet insurance available on Insurdinary’s website.
- Standard Coverage – Coverage includes accidents, illnesses, and emergency care. X-rays, tests, surgeries and hospitalizations are also covered.
- Intermediate Coverage– As well as standard coverage, you will also receive additional coverage for things such as check-ups and vaccinations.
- Advanced Coverage – This offers advanced coverage such as alternative treatments and dental coverage. Prescription coverage is also included.
Below are some of the pros and cons of searching for pet insurance on Insurdinary’s online platform.
- Your insurance quotes will be personalized to your pet’s needs and your financial requirements.
- Insurance bundles are available that offer significant discounts.
- Some of Insurdinary’s pet insurance partners offer periodic discounts to new and existing customers.
- There are no upfront costs and no hidden fees. You only make a payment when you sign an insurance policy.
- Free educational blogs are available on Insurdinary’s website. Information is available on a wide range of topics including pet health and pet insurance.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to apply for a list of insurance quotes.
- Customer services are available 24 hours a day. They can be contacted via phone, email or on the website.
- Pets over 14 years of age are not eligible for coverage.
- Insurdinary only acts as the middleman. They do not provide you with insurance.
- Some insurance providers charge as much as $100 per month for pet insurance.
Insurdinary allows you to search for quotes from multiple insurance providers at once. They are partnered with the top pet insurance providers so your pet can have the best possible coverage.
They also offer some of the lowest rates in Winnipeg. Although pet insurance is not provided directly by Insurdinary, they still offer great customer services and helpful information and advice.
Visit Insurdinary’s website today for your personalized list of pet insurance quotes.
Founded in 1989, Petsecure offers pet insurance as one of the oldest companies in Canada. They are 100% Canadian-owned and have become one of Canada’s largest pet insurance providers.
There are four different coverage levels available:
|Accident Coverage: Per Accident||Illness Cover: Per Condition, Per Year||Dental Cover: Per Year||Wellness Coverage||Preventative Care|
Petsecure’s insurance plans were created in partnership with veterinary technicians. In addition to the standard coverage, Petsecure also offers you coverage for:
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescriptions and medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
There are several deductible options available and the higher your deductible, the lower your monthly payment will be. Policy prices can change based on your pet’s age, breed, health, and pre-existing conditions.
Once you have signed up to your chosen insurance policy, your accident cover will begin after 48 hours. Illness coverage begins after 14 days and dental coverage after 6 months.
Making a claim can be easy and stress-free. You simply need to complete a claims form with the help of your vet. This is then submitted to Petsecure, along with any vet bills or receipts. Petsecure usually responds to claims within 7-10 days.
Here is a list of some of the pros and cons of Petsecure’s pet insurance.
- Up to 80% of your vet bill will be reimbursed.
- Deductibles range from $100-$700.
- Petsecure offers discounts if you insure more than one pet.
- You can submit a claim any time within 6 months of your pet receiving treatment.
- Dental care is included in all insurance policies.
- The Secure 4 plan includes coverage for check-ups, vaccinations, and flea treatments.
- Petsecure offers coverage for non-veterinary bills. Included are boarding fees if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards, cremation or burial costs, and holiday cancellation coverage.
- It only takes 7-10 days for Petsecure to respond to a claim. You can choose to receive your reimbursement via cheque or direct deposit.
- Spaying and neutering are not included, nor are any pregnancy-related expenses.
- Deductibles are based on the age of your pet. Pets above 10 years of age could require a deductible of up to $700.
Petsecure is an excellent option for those looking to choose their own coverage levels. The Secure 1 and Secure 2 plans are competitively priced, while still offering a good level of coverage for your pet.
If you are looking for a higher coverage level, Petsecure is often outpriced by many of its competitors. Not being able to choose your own reimbursement amount and deductible can also be problematic for some pet owners.
However, if you have more than one pet, you may be able to get a generous discount on your pet insurance. Requesting a quote is free of charge and requires no obligation. Visit Petsecure’s website today.
5. Pets Plus Us
In the pet insurance industry, Pets Plus Us is a relative newcomer. However, they have already proven themselves as a top-rated insurance provider. They have emerged as a leading insurer for both cats and dogs.
Pets Plus Us offers three different coverage options for your pet.
This coverage is only designed to insure your pet in the event of an accident. Coverage amounts are set at $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Up to 80% of your veterinary fees are reimbursed. The annual deductible for this policy is $100. This policy includes the following coverage.
- Emergency Care
Accident and Illness
This coverage insurers your pet in the event of accidents, injuries and illnesses. Different coverage amounts are available – $7,500 or $15,000 per year. There are three reimbursement options available – 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the annual deductible is based on the age of your pet. Coverage includes everything offered by the Accident policy, plus coverage for:
- Injuries and accidents
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
Wellness coverage can be a stand-alone plan or added to one of the other policies. You pay a monthly premium and schedule vet appointments for services based on your pet’s age. 100% of the vet fees are reimbursed. Coverage includes a variety of services. For example, neutering, de-worming, urinalysis, blood profile, heartworm testing, and dental care.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of choosing Pets Plus Us as your insurance provider.
- All licensed vets in Canada and the U.S. are covered with Pets Plus Us.
- You can submit a claim any time within 6 months of your pet receiving treatment. Making a claim is quick and easy.
- You can choose the reimbursement amount that best suits your budget.
- There is no upper age limit for Pets Plus Us’ insurance.
- Pets Plus Us offers a 4Life Guarantee to all customers. This means your benefits will be renewed every year, regardless of conditions or injuries your pet develops. Older age will also not affect your benefits.
- All coverage levels include Blue Ribbon Benefits. This gives you up to $1,000 in emergency medical coverage. You will also have 24/7 access to helpful phone lines, including an emergency vet line, a pet poison helpline, and a compassionate care line.
- Customers have access to educational resources, the Pets Plus Us blog and the free e-newsletter.
- Dental coverage is not included in the insurance plans.
- It can take up to 20 working days for Pets Plus Us to process your claim. This is longer than the industry average.
- You cannot choose your deductible amount. Deductibles can be as high as $700.
Pets Plus Us is a great insurance choice for pet owners in Winnipeg. They are a top-rated insurance provider and are growing in popularity across Canada.
Three different insurance plans are available, with a variety of great coverage. You can also choose your own reimbursement level. The lower the reimbursement, the lower your monthly premium will be. This means you can design your insurance plan with your budget in mind.
However, it is not possible to choose your own deductible. Depending on the plan and the breed and age of your pet, you could be paying a deductible as high as $700.
Pets Plus Us offers a free quote on their website with no commitment required. Visit them today for more information on their great insurance offers.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Health or car insurance in Canada is similar to insurance for a pet. You typically pay a monthly premium to a provider for it. Then, if your animal gets sick or injured, the insurer will either pay or reimburse you for part of the fees you have to spend at the vet.
Depending on your plan, your insurance should cover accidents, illnesses, hospitalization, emergency care, surgery, and prescriptions. Most plans also have optional add-ons to cover more aspects of owning an animal. This could be anything from chiropractic treatment to covering the cost of ‘lost’ signs.
The cost of insurance for your animals depends on a few factors. Larger and older animals typically have a higher premium. This is because they will potentially need to go to the vet more often. Your rate will also depend on your specific plan and deductible.
Most plans state that you have to pay a deductible (anywhere from $0 to $1000) to then be reimbursed. The higher your deductible, the lower your monthly fee will be. Some plans will charge a deductible annually or per condition.
How you pay your vet will also depend on the insurance company. Some will pay the vet directly, or some will reimburse you after you pay out of pocket.
Each provider will operate differently, so it is important that you understand your plan fully before agreeing to it.
The Bottom Line
Even if you don’t see insurance for your pet as a necessity, it is always better to be safe than sorry. Your animal should be part of your family, and protecting them in any scenario is important.
These are just two of the best insurance providers for animals in Canada, but there are many more. Such as Petline Insurance Company or Petsecure Canada.
Get insurance for your furry friends today to avoid paying huge amounts for treatment down the line.