Pet Insurance Quebec
Did you know more than half of households in Canada have a pet? A beloved pet is like a member of your family. If they become sick or injured, you may want to do everything you can to help them recover. However, unexpected vet bills can quickly add up and become unaffordable for the average Canadian. So how do you protect yourself and your pet in this situation?
The best answer is to take out pet insurance that protects you from anything that may happen to your pet. There are many pet insurance companies in Quebec, so how do you choose the best one for you? Below, we will summarize two of the most popular companies in Canada. We will look at their coverage, policies, and the advantages and disadvantages of each. We also looked at top pet insurance in other cities and provinces in Canada, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Ontario and Alberta.
Petplan is one of the most trusted and highly reviewed pet insurance providers in Canada. It is known for having excellent customer service and comprehensive protection.
- They have flexible pricing options available to suit your budget.
- No claims limit for any illnesses. They also do not have an annual claim limit.
- Claims are usually paid within 5-7 days.
- There is no upper age limit. Coverage can start when your pet is six weeks old and last for the rest of their life.
- They will cover up to $1000 of your pet’s boarding fees if your cat or dog is hospitalized.
- They cover the cost of your vet’s exam fees.
- You can get up to 30% credit on your policy for keeping your pets healthy (i.e. for not making any claims).
- They include extras such as hydrotherapy and chiropractic care in your policy.
- Comprehensive dental is included in your policy.
- They have 24/7 customer service, so you can always contact them in case of an emergency.
- They have a BBB rating of A+, which is the highest possible rating.
- You will be covered for any travel within Canada or the USA. You will also be covered to visit any vet within these countries.
- Routine and wellness checks are not covered in their plans.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
- Claim limits can sometimes be set at $2500.
- You are not covered if you do not visit the vet within 48 hours of noticing an illness or injury.
- If you do not take your pets for annual health and dental checks, your insurance cover may be invalidated.
- Pets older than six years must be screened by the vet within 30 days of taking out the policy.
- The options available in your policy will reduce as your pet ages.
- It can be expensive compared to other providers.
- They are known for requiring a lot of documentation to process a claim, which can delay the claim process.
- They charge $3.50 for a credit card processing fee.
Petplan has a reputation for being a great choice of insurance for a pet owner. They have more than forty years of experience in providing pet insurance. However, in recent years they are being priced out of the market by new companies offering insurance for a lower price. There are still some great advantages to using Petplan to protect your cat or dog. Be aware of exactly what is included in the available plans and the cost of your monthly premiums and deductibles.
Trupanion is one of the largest and most trusted providers of pet insurance in Canada. They offer pet insurance policies to cover animals, including cats and dogs.
- They reimburse up to 90% of your vet bills.
- There is no annual limit for claims.
- They offer direct payment to your vet. This means the money does not come out of your pocket while you wait for approval from your pet insurance company.
- They do not raise the cost of your pet insurance policy as your cat or dog ages.
- They do not raise the cost of your policy if your pet has multiple conditions, and you have already filed several claims with them.
- You only have to pay the deductible cost once per condition.
- There is no lifetime limit on your injury or illness coverage.
- You can include optional extras such as hydrotherapy and behaviour management training. There will be an additional cost attached.
- It has a BBB rating of A-, one of the highest scores for Canadian pet insurance.
- They have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week customer service. This means you can always contact them in an emergency.
- You can change the price of the deductible to suit your finances. Keep in mind that lowering your deductible price will higher your monthly premiums.
- They offer cheaper plans with less coverage or high-end plans with maximum coverage.
- The cost of the policy can be more expensive than other pet insurance companies.
- There is a 30 day waiting period until you have full coverage for illness. This is high compared to the industry standard of 14 days.
- The pay-out period can be up to 60 days (although it is usually faster).
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered – although this is true of most policies.
- They can increase the price of your premium by up to 20% each year.
- You cannot obtain a new policy if your pet is above the age of 14.
- The plans are not customizable.
- They do not cover preventative care, such as vaccinations, routine check-ups and spay/neutering surgery.
- They do not cover the cost of examinations, only the cost of the treatments.
Trupanion is consistently rated as one of the best pet insurance providers in Canada. Their policy terms are some of the best available while remaining affordable for the average Canadian. If you are looking for standard insurance coverage with a high reimbursement percentage at an affordable monthly price, Trupanion may be the best option for you. However, if you are looking for a pet insurance plan that is more customizable, this may not be the best policy for you.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Similarly to our own health insurance, pet insurance involves paying a monthly premium. If your pet gets sick or injured, the insurance company will then cover a percentage of your bills. Canada pet insurance can be an affordable cost per month.
If you need to claim on your insurance, you have to pay a deductible. This is usually between 10-30% of the treatment cost. Some insurance providers will pay directly to your vet. Others will require you to pay out of pocket and then reimburse their percentage of the cost.
Each provider will offer a different level of wellness care, with varying costs attached. Always research potential insurance providers thoroughly.
The Bottom Line
Getting insurance coverage for your cat or dog can be an excellent choice in the case of unexpected injury or illness. However, it can be an unnecessary monthly cost if you do not make a claim. Trupanion and Petplan are two of the most reputable and trusted providers of pet insurance in Canada.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both of their policies. Ensure you research them both thoroughly to find the best pet insurance for you.
If neither of these companies is the right fit, you could consider other providers such as Petline Insurance Company, Pet Secure Canada or Pet Plus Us. Protecting our pets is an important priority for many Canadians. If you feel you could not afford to cover unexpected vet bills, pet insurance may be the best option for you.