Did you know more than half of households in Canada have a pet? A beloved pet is like a member of your family. If they become sick or injured, you may want to do everything you can to help them recover. However, unexpected vet bills can quickly add up and become unaffordable for the average Canadian. So how do you protect yourself and your pet in this situation?
The best answer is to take out pet insurance that protects you from anything that may happen to your pet. There are many pet insurance companies in Quebec, so how do you choose the best one for you? Below, we will summarize five of the most popular companies in Canada. We will look at their coverage, policies, and the advantages and disadvantages of each. We also looked at top pet insurance in other cities and provinces in Canada, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Ontario and Alberta.
Pet Insurance Quebec Reviews
Petplan is one of the most trusted and highly reviewed pet insurance providers in Canada. It is known for having excellent customer service and comprehensive protection. Petplan provides pet insurance in Canada and the U.S.
Petplan was founded by pet lovers. Insurance is available for cats and dogs of any breed. Petplan also does not discriminate based on age. Insurance for your pet is available at an affordable price. Petplan claims to offer the most comprehensive coverage in the continent. All of their insurance plans are customizable.
Petplan’s pet insurance policies cover the following:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Holistic care.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
- Dental illness and injury.
Searching for a quote is quick and easy. There are several factors that will affect the cost of your insurance. This includes the type of animal, the specific breed, and the age of your pet. Pets can be enrolled in Petplan insurance after 6 weeks of age.
Once you have received a quote, you can make changes to your monthly premium. You do this by making changes to the following financial aspects of your insurance policy:
- Maximum annual benefit – This is the maximum amount you can be paid back per year. The higher your annual benefit, the higher your monthly premium will be. Annual pay-outs range from $2,500 to unlimited.
- Annual deductible – This is the fixed amount you are responsible for paying before you are covered by insurance. A higher deductible results in a lower monthly premium. Deductibles are available from $100-$1,000.
- Reimbursement – This is the percentage of each vet bill you will be reimbursed. The higher the reimbursement percentage, the lower the monthly premium. Petplan offers 70%, 80% and 90% reimbursement options.
Once you have signed up for your chosen policy, it is important to bear in mind that coverage does not begin immediately. Accident and injury benefits begin after 24 hours. You will receive illness benefits after two weeks.
Making an insurance claim can be done on Petplan’s website or through the mobile app. You can send the claims form via email, mail, or fax. Ensure you attach the complete veterinary bills with your claims form.
If you are still unsure whether Petplan’s pet insurance is the best option for you, take a look at some of the pros and cons below.
- They have flexible pricing options available to suit your budget.
- No claims limit for any illnesses. They also do not have an annual claim limit.
- Claims are usually paid within 5-7 days.
- There is no upper age limit. Coverage can start when your pet is six weeks old and last for the rest of its life.
- They will cover up to $1,000 of your pet’s boarding fees if your cat or dog is hospitalized.
- They cover the cost of your vet’s exam fees.
- Breed-specific conditions are not excluded.
- You can get up to 30% credit on your policy for keeping your pets healthy (i.e. for not making any claims).
- They include extras such as hydrotherapy and chiropractic care in your policy.
- Comprehensive dental is included in your policy.
- They have 24/7 customer service, so you can always contact them in case of an emergency.
- They have a BBB rating of A+, which is the highest possible rating.
- You will be covered for any travel within Canada or the USA. You will also be covered to visit any vet within these countries.
- Petplan’s website provides some useful educational resources. This includes information about pet health and safety, and pet insurance tips.
- Petplan covers up to 90% of your pet’s medical costs. You can choose the reimbursement amount that best suits your financial situation.
- Flexible pricing options are available.
- Petplan offers transparent pricing. There are no hidden costs or additional fees.
- Routine and wellness checks are not covered in their plans.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
- Claim limits can sometimes be set at $2500.
- You are not covered if you do not visit the vet within 48 hours of noticing an illness or injury.
- If you do not take your pets for annual health and dental checks, your insurance cover may be invalidated.
- Pets older than six years must be screened by the vet within 30 days of taking out the policy.
- The options available in your policy will reduce as your pet ages.
- It can be expensive compared to other providers.
- They are known for requiring a lot of documentation to process a claim, which can delay the claim process.
- They charge $3.50 for a credit card processing fee.
Petplan has a reputation for being a great choice of insurance for a pet owner. They have more than forty years of experience in providing pet insurance.
However, in recent years they are being priced out of the market by new companies offering insurance for a lower price. There are still some great advantages to using Petplan to protect your cat or dog. Be aware of exactly what is included in the available plans and the cost of your monthly premiums and deductibles.
Petplan is a great insurance option for those looking for comprehensive coverage and customizable plans. Visit their website today for more information and to receive your free quote.
Trupanion is one of the largest and most trusted providers of pet insurance in Canada. They offer pet insurance policies to cover animals, including cats and dogs.
Trupanion has been providing pet insurance for more than 20 years. They now offer insurance in Canada and the U.S. and Australia. They are one of the most popular insurers, with more than $1 billion in claims paid out so far.
Trupanion keeps its pet insurance simple by offering one, single base plan. This plan comes with comprehensive coverage that includes:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
If you want additional coverage for your pet, Trupanion also offers two policy enhancements.
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – This includes alternative treatments such as Acupuncture and Chiropractic Treatment. Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, and Rehabilitation are also covered.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – Coverage that is not limited to the vet. This includes advertising and rewards for lost pets, boarding fees if you are hospitalized and liability coverage. Cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled due to pet illness and burial or cremation costs are also included.
One of the biggest advantages to Trupanion is that they make direct payments to your pet. Once your pet has received veterinary treatment, Trupanion will pay the reimbursement amount directly to the vet. You will only have to pay your deductible and the remaining percentage of the vet bill. Trupanion’s insurance policy offers 90% reimbursement. This means the amount you are liable to pay will be much smaller.
Trupanion’s comprehensive coverage covers you for specific conditions that many insurance providers don’t cover. This includes hereditary and congenital conditions. Breed-specific conditions and conditions that your vet is unable to diagnose are also covered.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Trupanion’s pet insurance.
- They reimburse up to 90% of your vet bills.
- There is no annual, per-incident or lifetime limit for claims.
- Hundreds of price options are available to suit your budget. You can choose a deductible ranging from $0-$1,000. The deductible is not paid annually. You will only need to pay a deductible if a new condition or injury arises.
- They offer direct payment to your vet. This means the money does not come out of your pocket while you wait for approval from your pet insurance company.
- They do not raise the cost of your pet insurance policy as your cat or dog ages.
- They do not raise the cost of your policy if your pet has multiple conditions, and you have already filed several claims with them.
- You only have to pay the deductible cost once per condition.
- There is no lifetime limit on your injury or illness coverage.
- You can include optional extras such as hydrotherapy and behaviour management training. There will be an additional cost attached. You can also add non-clinical extras to your policy.
- It has a BBB rating of A-, one of the highest scores for Canadian pet insurance.
- They have 24 hours a day, 7 days a week customer service. This means you can always contact them in an emergency.
- You can change the price of the deductible to suit your finances. Keep in mind that lowering your deductible price will higher your monthly premiums.
- They offer cheaper plans with less coverage or high-end plans with maximum coverage.
- Trupanion is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA). This means they support animal welfare organizations and follow guidelines set out by regulators.
- The cost of the policy can be more expensive than other pet insurance companies.
- There is a 30-day waiting period until you have full coverage for illness. This is high compared to the industry standard of 14 days.
- The pay-out period can be up to 60 days (although it is usually faster).
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered – although this is true of most policies.
- They can increase the price of your premium by up to 20% each year.
- You cannot obtain a new policy if your pet is above the age of 14.
- The plans are not customizable.
- They do not cover preventative care, such as vaccinations, routine check-ups, and spay/neutering surgery.
- They do not cover the cost of examinations, only the cost of the treatments.
Trupanion is consistently rated as one of the best pet insurance providers in Canada. Their policy terms are some of the best available while remaining affordable for the average Canadian. If you are looking for standard insurance coverage with a high reimbursement percentage at an affordable monthly price, Trupanion may be the best option for you.
However, if you are looking for a pet insurance plan that is more customizable, this may not be the best policy for you. The upper age limit can also alienate some pet owners.
One of Trupanion’s biggest selling points is that payments are made directly to the vet. This means you will never be out of pocket if your pet receives expensive treatment. They also offer you the option to choose your own deductible. If you are looking for lower monthly payments, this could be a huge positive.
Visit Trupanion’s website today to receive your free, no-obligation quote.
Desjardins has been operating since 1944 and provides a variety of insurance products. They offer three distinct pet insurance packages.
- Bronze Paw – $2,000 coverage per accident, per year and $2,000 illness coverage, per condition per year. Optional coverage of $500 dental care is also available.
- Silver Paw – $4,000 coverage per accident, per year and $4,000 illness coverage per condition, per year. $700 dental care coverage is also included. Optional coverage includes up to $350 per year in each of the three categories: Alternative Therapy, Behavioural Therapy and Medical Devices.
- Gold Paw – Unlimited coverage for accidents and illnesses. $1,000 dental care coverage per year is included. Your pet will also receive $350 per year for Alternative Therapy, Behavioural Therapy and Medical Devices. Preventative Care Coverage, including preventative medications and annual exams, are also included.
Desjardins charges you one annual deductible per year, regardless of how many claims you make. If you make no claims, you will not pay the deductible. The price of the deductible is based on the age of your pet.
|Age of Pet||Dogs||Cats|
Your insurance policy will also include 80% reimbursement.
Once you have taken out insurance, your accident coverage will begin after 48 hours. Illness coverage begins after 14 days and dental coverage after 6 months.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of choosing Desjardins for your pet insurance.
- All insurance plans come with ContinueCare. If your pet develops a long-term or chronic illness, Desjardins will continue to provide coverage, as long as you renew with them every year.
- There is no lifetime limit to the amount of coverage in your plan.
- Coverage is per condition, not per year. This means if your pet has multiple illnesses or accidents, you will still be covered by insurance.
- There is no upper age limit for Desjardins’ pet insurance.
- A large variety of veterinary services and treatments are included in the plans. This includes X-Rays, hospitalization, and MRI/CAT scans. Prescription medications and chemotherapy is also included.
- Dental treatment is included in the Silver Paw and Gold Paw plans. Bronze customers can add it as an optional extra for a reasonable price.
- Completing a claim is relatively easy. The claims form should be signed by you and the vet. You can then send it via email, mail, or fax. Payment is processed in 5-10 days.
- Customer services are available 24/7.
- There is no option to change your deductible amount.
- Non-clinic coverage is not included.
Desjardins provides a great option for pet insurance in Quebec. The three insurance plans offer different levels of coverage so you can choose the best option for your pet. All of the insurance policies offer 80% reimbursement, meaning you are liable for the other 20%, plus your deductible.
There is no option to choose your own deductible. It is based on the type of pet and the age of your pet. Cat insurance policies have cheaper deductibles than policies for dogs.
For more information and to receive your free quote, visit Desjardins’ website today.
Petsecure has been operating since 1989 and is the oldest pet insurance provider in Canada. They are a 100% Canadian-owned company and one of the largest pet insurers in the country. Petsecure works with a team of veterinary technicians to ensure their insurance plans are designed with your pet in mind.
Petsecure offers four different coverage levels:
- Secure 1 – This is recommended for those looking for a low monthly premium and more basic coverage. Coverage includes $1,000 per accident, $1,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $200 dental coverage.
- Secure 2 – This is a more standard coverage. Monthly premiums will still be relatively low. Coverage includes $2,500 per accident, $2,500 illness coverage per condition per year and $300 dental coverage.
- Secure 3 – This is comprehensive coverage with a higher coverage amount. Coverage includes $5,000 per accident, $5,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $400 dental coverage.
- Secure 4 – This is recommended for those who do not want pay-out limits. It includes unlimited coverage for accidents and illnesses and $600 per year for dental coverage. Wellness coverage and preventative care are also included.
As well as the standard coverage that comes with pet insurance, Petsecure covers you for a variety of other expenses, including:
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescriptions and medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
All Petsecure’s insurance plans come with 80% reimbursement. If you make a claim, you will pay your deductible, plus the remaining 20%. You can choose the value of your deductible. The lower the deductible the higher your monthly premium. The price of your policy will also be determined by the type of pet you own and the age and breed of your pet.
Once you have chosen your pet insurance policy, there is a waiting period until your coverage becomes active. Accident coverage activates after 48 hours. Illness coverage activates after 14 days, and dental care is 6 months.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Petsecure’s insurance plans.
- Up to 80% of your treatment costs are reimbursed.
- You have up to 6 months after treatment to submit your claim.
- Claims are usually responded to within 7-10 days.
- You can choose to be reimbursed by cheque or direct deposit.
- You can choose your own deductible depending on the monthly premium you want to pay.
- Multi-pet discounts are available.
- You will receive additional coverage for non-veterinary expenses. This includes boarding fees if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards and cremation or burial costs.
- Applying for a quote is free of charge and has no obligation. You can also tailor your quote by editing the deductible, all before committing to an insurance plan.
- The annual wellness coverage includes check-ups, vaccinations, and flea treatments.
- Pets above 8 years old must also undergo physical exams, blood profiles and urinalysis before they can qualify for a pet insurance plan.
- The Secure 3 and Secure 4 plans can be quite expensive.
Choosing pet insurance with one of Canada’s oldest and largest providers could be a real advantage. Petsecure is an industry expert and provides well-designed, comprehensive plans. They partner with veterinary technicians to offer tailored coverage.
Although you can edit your deductible, Petsecure only offers one reimbursement option. Some of their competitors allow you to choose a higher or lower reimbursement amount.
However, overall, Petsecure offers an excellent option for pet insurance in Quebec. Visit their website today to receive your quote.
5. Pets Plus Us
Pets Plus Us is a dedicated pet insurance provider. Although they are a relative newcomer to the pet insurance market, they are growing in popularity. They currently offer three insurance options for your pet:
- Accident – $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Pets Plus Us will reimburse up to 80% of the veterinary fees. The annual deductible is $100, but you only pay this if you make a claim that year. Coverage includes:
2. Accident and Illness – Two coverage options are available, $7,500 or $15,00 annually. You can also choose how much of the veterinary fees are covered by your insurance, 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the deductible will depend on the age of your pet. Coverage includes:
Injuries and accidents
3. Wellness Coverage – This can be a stand-alone plan or added to your policy. You pay a monthly premium and schedule vet appointments based on your pet’s age. 100% of the vet fees are reimbursed. Coverage includes a variety of services. For example, neutering, de-worming, urinalysis, blood profile, heartworm testing, and dental care.
Pets Plus Us allows you to take your vet to any licensed veterinarian in the U.S. or Canada. To be reimbursed for the vet fees, you can submit your claim online, via email or fax or through the mail. You should also include the full invoice from your vet. You have up to 6 months after treatment was received to submit your claim.
Below is a list of the pros and cons of choosing Pets Plus Us for your pet insurance.
- You can choose the amount of coverage you require. You can also choose your reimbursement amount.
- The 4Life Guarantee means benefits will be renewed every year, regardless of any conditions your pet develops.
- Blue Ribbon Benefits are provided to all customers. This gives you up to $1,000 in emergency medical coverage. You will also have 24/7 access to helpful phone lines, including an emergency vet line, a pet poison helpline, and a compassionate care line.
- There is no upper age.
- Pets Plus Us also offers educational articles on a variety of pet-related topics. They also offer information on pet ownership and pet insurance. There is also a blog and a free e-newsletter.
- Although there is no upper age limit, pets over 8 years of age must have had a physical exam, blood analysis and urinalysis within the last two months to qualify for insurance.
- Dental treatment is not included as a standard.
Pets Plus Us is a great option for pet insurance in Quebec. Being able to choose your own coverage level could be a real advantage. This means your pet will get the perfect amount of coverage to match your financial situation.
Although Pets Plus Us does not allow you to choose your own deductible, paying an annual deductible can be a big advantage if you need to claim more than once.
For more information on Pets Plus Us, visit their website today.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Similar to our own health insurance, pet insurance involves paying a monthly premium. If your pet gets sick or injured, the insurance company will then cover a percentage of your bills. Canadian pet insurance can be an affordable cost per month.
If you need to claim on your insurance, you have to pay a deductible. This is usually between 10-30% of the treatment cost. Some insurance providers will pay directly to your vet. Others will require you to pay out of pocket and then reimburse their percentage of the cost.
Each provider will offer a different level of wellness care, with varying costs attached. Always research potential insurance providers thoroughly.
The Bottom Line
Getting insurance coverage for your cat or dog can be an excellent choice in the case of unexpected injury or illness. However, it can be an unnecessary monthly cost if you do not make a claim. Trupanion and Petplan are two of the most reputable and trusted providers of pet insurance in Canada.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both of their policies. Ensure you research them both thoroughly to find the best pet insurance for you.
Today, we have looked at some of the best pet insurance providers in Quebec Protecting our pets is an important priority for many Canadians. If you feel you may not be able to afford to cover unexpected vet bills, pet insurance may be the best option for you.