Pet Insurance Ontario
Ontario is a great place to raise a pet, especially since the province has such great pet health insurance. Insurance is not only necessary for humans, homes, and cars; pets need it as well! You never know when an accident or illness could befall your furry friends, so ensuring they have coverage is important. Without it, you may not be able to afford the veterinary care they need.
To help the pet owners of Ontario, we took an in-depth look into two of the best pet insurance providers, Trupanion and Petplan. Also, apart from Ontario and Toronto, we went to great lengths to bring you the reviews of pet insurance in other cities and provinces, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Quebec and Alberta.
The best company that offers pet health insurance in Ontario is Petplan. Let’s dive into its pros and cons!
- Petplan has a great reputation. The company has been in North America since 2006. They have existed internationally even longer.
- Most insurance plans will charge more for pet insurance in Canada and comprehensive coverage. Petplan, however, includes almost everything in their plan. Exam fees, accident coverage, chiropractic treatment, dental, hydrotherapy are all covered.
- As Petplan values their customers, they offer discounts as well. New customers who purchase coverage online will get a 5% discount. If you didn’t have to make any claims within a 12-month period, you would get a 15% discount (with a maximum of 30%).
- Hereditary and congenital diseases are covered as well as chronic conditions.
- Once you file a claim, you should receive a payout within a week.
- Coverage will also come into place quickly. Within 24 hours of purchasing your pet insurance plan, you will receive accident and injury benefits. You will then receive illness benefits after two weeks.
- Petplan does not have an animal age limit for coverage.
- Claims can easily be made through Petplan’s app or website.
- Up to 90% of your pet’s medical bills will be covered.
- Petplan requires your pet to get health and dental check-ups annually. If they don’t receive one, they will not be covered.
- Petplan also does not bill your vet directly, so you will always need to pay out of pocket then file a claim. Reimbursement can sometimes take longer than a week.
- Your pet needs to be taken to the vet within 48 hours of an illness or injury presenting itself. If it’s longer, Petplan may not cover the visit.
- There is a $3.50 processing fee if you pay for your plan with a credit card.
- As Petplan offers such comprehensive coverage, premiums can be more expensive than other pet insurance companies.
If you’re looking for an insurance plan that encompasses most services your pet would require, Petplan is a good option. They include veterinary care and extra coverage that is often considered an add-on with many of the Canada pet insurance companies.
Their premiums may be considered high, depending on your animal and deductible. The best way to find out is to request a free, no-pressure quote from the Petplan insurance company on their website.
If you have had a pet before, you have likely heard of Trupanion. They have been around since 1999 and show no signs of stopping. Here are some pros and cons of their pet insurance.
- Trupanion offers standard, comprehensive insurance for pets, Canada. This means it covers new illnesses or injuries related to hereditary or congenital conditions. As well as unidentified issues and accident coverage.
- As there is only one policy, there will be no confusion about what type of coverage you should purchase.
- Customer service is available from Trupanion 24/7 in case your pet is in an emergency situation in the middle of the night.
- You will receive 90% coverage. This means that after your monthly fees and deductible, you will only need to pay the remaining 10% of your vet bills.
- No payout limit.
- Your deductible is customizable. If you want to pay a higher deductible to get a lower monthly premium, you can. The deductible ranges from $0 to $1,000.
- Optional coverage is also available to receive extra services. This includes chiropractic treatment, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, and more.
- Trupanion does not cover exam fees, flea control, vaccinations, or de-worming. Pets typically require these services often as well, so you will need to pay out of pocket.
- There is a 30 day waiting period for full coverage, so if your pet needs emergency care right away, you will not be covered.
- If your vet does not accept payment directly from Trupanion, you will have to pay out of pocket then receive a reimbursement.
- It is hard to judge how much/ how often you will have to pay a deductible. If your pet only develops one condition in their lifetime, that will only be one deductible payment. If they develop more, however, you may end up paying more than you would with an annual deductible.
Trupanion is one of the oldest pet insurance companies in Canada. With their experience comes great, comprehensive coverage. They have also learned how to properly treat their customers and animals. Customer service is constantly available. Pet health insurance plans are also clearly outlined to avoid confusion.
Though Trupanion only offers one pet insurance policy, their optional add-ons make sure your pet receives the best veterinary care possible.
For a free insurance quote, head over to Trupanion’s website!
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
You don’t need to be a pet owner to understand how pet insurance works. If you have other policies that protect your car, home, or your own health, you already understand the process. You pay a monthly or annual premium to an insurance provider, and they protect you, your home, your car, or in this case, your pet.
What type of protection or care your insurance offers varies depending on the company and policy. But, standard pet insurance typically covers fees related to hospitalization, emergency care, surgery, illnesses, and medicine. Some policies cover ‘extras’ such as dental and chiropractors. Yet, other policies only offer this as an optional add-on.
Pet insurance, Canada, is typically available with a monthly fee and deductible. Both fees vary greatly depending on what policy you choose. This is because deductibles tend to be highly customizable. If you want a lower monthly fee, you can request a higher deductible and vice versa.
Another factor that influences the cost of your insurance is your pets’ health. If they are older or bigger, for example, you may end up paying more. This is because insurance providers see older and bigger pets as more of a liability.
Every insurance provider is different and offers different coverage. Pet owners should look into each policy thoroughly to make sure it meets their pet’s needs and their budget.
The Bottom Line
Even if you don’t think insurance is necessary, it’s often better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want to be stuck with vet bills you can’t afford. You want your pet to receive the care they need.
If Trupanion or Petplan doesn’t suit your needs, there are many other pet insurance companies out there. Notably, any plan that is underwritten by Petline Insurance Company is a good option.