Ontario is a great place to raise a pet, especially since the province has such great pet health insurance. Insurance is not only necessary for humans, homes, and cars; pets need it as well! You never know when an accident or illness could befall your furry friends, so ensuring they have coverage is important. Without it, you may not be able to afford the veterinary care they need.
To help the pet owners of Ontario, we took an in-depth look into two of the best pet insurance providers, Trupanion and Petplan. Also, apart from Ontario and Toronto, we went to great lengths to bring you the reviews of pet insurance in other cities and provinces, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Quebec and Alberta.
Best Pet Insurance Ontario Reviews
Our top choice for pet health insurance in Ontario is Petplan. Petplan is one of the most well-known pet insurance providers in Canada and the United States. They claim to have the most comprehensive pet coverage in North America.
Petplan was founded by pet owners and pet lovers. They provide affordable pet insurance to cats and dogs, with no breed or age limit. Petplan has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). This is the highest possible rating.
Petplan’s insurance policies are customizable. The cost of the insurance premium is based on several factors. This includes the age and breed of your pet. Once you receive a quote from Petplan, you can edit tailor the quote, based on the following factors:
- Maximum annual benefit – This is the maximum amount you can be paid back per year. The higher your annual benefit, the higher your monthly premium will be.
- Annual deductible – This is the fixed amount you are responsible for paying before you are covered by insurance. A higher deductible results in a lower monthly premium.
- Reimbursement – This is the percentage of each vet bill you will be reimbursed. The higher the reimbursement percentage, the lower the monthly premium. Petplan offers 70%, 80% and 90% reimbursement options.
Petplan prides itself on its comprehensive coverage. Coverage included in the pet insurance policies include:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
Once you have chosen your pet insurance plan, coverage will not begin immediately. You will receive accident and injury benefits within 24 hours of purchasing your pet insurance. You will receive illness benefits in two weeks.
Petplan’s website provides some great information and educational resources. This includes information about pet health, animal safety, and insurance tips.
To decide if Petplan is the best option for you, let’s dive into some of the pros and cons!
- Petplan has a great reputation. The company has been in North America since 2007. They have existed internationally even longer.
- Most insurance plans will charge more for pet insurance in Canada and comprehensive coverage. Petplan, however, includes almost everything in their plan. Exam fees, accident coverage, chiropractic treatment, dental, and hydrotherapy are all covered.
- As Petplan values their customers, they offer discounts as well. New customers who purchase coverage online will get a 5% discount. If you didn’t make any claims within a 12-month period, you can get a 15% discount (with a maximum of 30%).
- Flexible pricing is available to suit your budget.
- There are no sign-up fees or additional payments to worry about. Petplan offers transparent fees.
- Hereditary and congenital diseases are covered as well as chronic conditions. Breed-specific conditions are also not excluded.
- Once you file a claim, you should receive a payout within a week.
- Coverage will also come into place quickly. Within 24 hours of purchasing your pet insurance plan, you will receive accident and injury benefits. You will then receive illness benefits after two weeks.
- Petplan does not have an animal age limit for coverage.
- Claims can easily be made through Petplan’s app or website.
- Up to 90% of your pet’s medical bills will be covered.
- There is no upper age limit for your pet. They can receive coverage at any point in their life, after 6 weeks of age.
- You will be covered for any visit to a licensed vet in Canada or the U.S.
- Customer support is available 24 hours a day.
- Petplan requires your pet to get health and dental check-ups annually. If they don’t receive one, they will not be covered.
- Petplan also does not bill your vet directly, so you will always need to pay out of pocket then file a claim. Reimbursement can sometimes take longer than a week.
- Your pet needs to be taken to the vet within 48 hours of an illness or injury presenting itself. If it’s longer, Petplan may not cover the visit.
- There is a $3.50 processing fee if you pay for your plan with a credit card.
- As Petplan offers such comprehensive coverage, premiums can be more expensive than other insurers.
If you’re looking for an insurance plan that encompasses most services your pet would require, Petplan is a good option. They include veterinary care and extra coverage that is often considered an add-on with many of the Canadian pet insurance companies.
Their premiums may be considered high, depending on your pet and the deductible you choose. The best way to find out is to request a free, no-pressure quote from the Petplan insurance company on their website.
If you have h
If you have had a pet before, you have likely heard of Trupanion. They have been around since 2000 and remain as popular as ever. Trupanion provides pet insurance in Canada, the U.S. and Australia. More than $1 billion has been paid out in insurance claims so far by Trupanion.
Trupanion prides itself on offering simple, fair, and affordable pet insurance. It aims to provide peace of mind to pet owners.
One of the biggest advantages of Trupanion’s pet insurance is the direct payments that are made to the vet. Trupanion is one of the only insurance providers that pay the vet bills directly, meaning you are never out of pocket.
Trupanion keeps its insurance simple. It offers one single base plan, with comprehensive coverage, including:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
If additional coverage is required, Trupanion offers two different policy enhancements:
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – This includes alternative treatments such as Acupuncture and Chiropractic Treatment. Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, and Rehabilitation are also covered.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – This is coverage that is not limited to the vet. This includes advertising and rewards for lost pets, boarding fees if you are hospitalized and liability coverage. Cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled and burial or cremation costs are also included.
Here are some pros and cons of Trupanion’s pet insurance.
- Trupanion offers standard, comprehensive insurance for pets, Canada. This means it covers new illnesses or injuries related to hereditary or congenital conditions. As well as unidentified issues and accident coverage.
- As there is only one policy, there will be no confusion about what type of coverage you should purchase.
- Trupanion’s insurance covers conditions not included in many policies. This includes hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, and breed-specific conditions. Unidentified conditions that the vet cannot diagnose are also covered.
- Customer service is available from Trupanion 24/7 in case your pet is in an emergency in the middle of the night.
- You will receive 90% coverage. This means that after your monthly fees and deductible, you will only need to pay the remaining 10% of your vet bills.
- There is no pay-out limit. This includes per-incident, annual or lifetime payout limits.
- Your deductible is customizable. If you want to pay a higher deductible to get a lower monthly premium, you can. The deductible ranges from $0 to $1,000.
- Optional coverage is also available to receive extra services. This includes chiropractic treatment, hydrotherapy, acupuncture, and more.
- Trupanion does not discriminate based on age. The cost of your policy will not rise because your pet is ageing.
- Deductibles range from $0-$1,000. You only have to pay a deductible with each new condition that your pet develops.
- You can opt to change your deductible amount within 30 days of taking out the policy.
- Trupanion has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A-.
- Trupanion is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA). This means they support animal welfare organizations and follow guidelines set out by regulators.
- Trupanion does not cover exam fees, flea control, vaccinations, or de-worming. Pets typically require these services often as well, so you will need to pay out of pocket.
- There is a 30-day waiting period for full coverage, so if your pet needs emergency care right away, you will not be covered.
- If your vet does not accept payment directly from Trupanion, you will have to pay out of pocket then receive a reimbursement.
- It is hard to judge how much/ how often you will have to pay a deductible. If your pet only develops one condition in its lifetime, that will only be one deductible payment. If they develop more, however, you may end up paying more than you would with an annual deductible.
Trupanion is one of the oldest pet insurance companies in Canada. With this experience comes great, comprehensive coverage. Trupanion has also learned how to properly treat its customers and animals. Customer service is constantly available. Pet health insurance plans are also clearly outlined to avoid confusion.
Though Trupanion only offers one pet insurance policy, their optional add-ons make sure your pet receives the best veterinary care possible. Trupanion offers a high reimbursement rate at an affordable monthly cost.
For those who do not want to ever be out of pocket, Trupanion is a fantastic option.
For a free, no-obligation insurance quote, head over to Trupanion’s website!
Ontario Veterinary Medical Association (OVMA) launched its pet insurance program in 2018. The program was designed and backed By Ontarian vets and is vet recommended. OVMA’s is partnered with Petline Insurance Company.
OVMA set out to offer an industry-leading insurance plan that provides optimum coverage and peace of mind. Their insurance is designed to be easily accessible for pet owners.
OVMA offers three coverage levels:
- Unlimited – This offers unlimited accident and illness coverage. You will also receive $600 yearly dental coverage. Yearly wellness coverage of up to $450 for dogs and $350 for cats is also included.
- Extended – This offers annual coverage of $5,000 per accident and $5,000 per condition for illnesses. $400 yearly dental coverage is also included.
- Comprehensive – This offers annual coverage of $2,500 per accident and $2,500 per condition for illnesses. $300 yearly dental coverage is included.
You can opt to have OVMA pay the vet fees directly to the vet. This saves you from ever being out of pocket.
OVMA has a team of licensed Insurance Agents and Animal Health technicians to help you set up your insurance and quickly process your claims. OVMA will reimburse up to 80% of your vet costs.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of OVMA.
- OVMA offers loyalty rewards. Get a 3% loyalty discount after the first year and a 5% loyalty discount after the second year.
- Pay-outs are simple, fast, and efficient. Claims are often processed the same day!
- Any claims disputes go through an independent review.
- OVMA is Ontario’s largest veterinary association.
- You can contact OVMA 24 hours a day. Help or advice is always on hand.
- Pet insurance policies are completely transparent, with no hidden fees.
- You can opt to have OVMA pay the vet fees directly to the vet. This saves you from ever being out of pocket.
- OVMA cares about pets so much that they donate a portion of the profits from every policy to the Farley Foundation. This helps to subsidize the cost of veterinary fees for low-income pet owners.
- There is no upper age limit. Cats and dogs of any age can be insured. Coverage also does not change based on the age of your dog.
- You do not need to go to an OVMA clinic. You can take your pet to any licensed vet in Canada.
- Multi-pet discounts are available.
- Pets above a certain age must have a complete veterinary exam, urinalysis, and blood tests before they can qualify for insurance.
- There is no option to change your reimbursement amount. Many insurance providers offer 90% reimbursement, compared to OVMA’s 80%.
OVMA Insurance was created by vets in Ontario. This means their insurance policies are trustable and well-designed.
Three different coverage options are available to suit your insurance needs and budget. OVMA also rewards loyalty and offers loyal customers a generous discount. You can receive a no-obligation quote free of charge on OVMA’s website. Why not take a look today and see consider taking pet insurance with Ontario’s most trusted provider?
Petsecure is the oldest pet insurance provider in Canada. Operating since 1989, Petsecure has grown to become one of the largest and most trusted insurance providers for our pets. Petsecure is underwritten by Petline Insurance Company. They work with a team of dedicated veterinary technicians to ensure your pet has the best coverage possible.
Petsecure offers four different pet insurance coverage levels:
- Secure 1 – Coverage includes $1,000 per accident, $1,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $200 dental coverage.
- Secure 2 – Coverage includes $2,500 per accident, $2,500 illness coverage per condition per year and $300 dental coverage.
- Secure 3 – Coverage includes $5,000 pet accident, $5,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $400 dental coverage.
- Secure 4 – Unlimited coverage for accidents and illnesses and $600 per year for dental coverage. Wellness coverage and preventative care are also included.
All four coverage levels include 80% reimbursement of your veterinary bills. It is quick and easy to get an insurance quote for your pet. You can also change your quote and the monthly premium by editing your deductible. The lower the deductible you choose, the higher your monthly premium will be.
As well as the standard coverage you would expect to receive with your pet insurance, Petsecure covers you for a variety of other expenses, including:
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescriptions and medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
Below is a list of the pros and cons of Petsecure’s pet insurance coverage.
- You can receive a quote free of charge with no obligation. You can even edit your quote to find the perfect coverage and price.
- A multi-pet discount is available.
- Claims can be submitted any time within 6 months of treatment. Claims are usually responded to within 7-10 days. You can receive your reimbursement via cheque or direct deposit.
- Up to 80% of your treatment costs are reimbursed.
- Dental coverage is included at every level.
- You will receive additional coverage for non-veterinary expenses. This includes boarding fees if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards and cremation or burial costs.
- The annual wellness coverage includes check-ups, vaccinations, and flea treatments.
- The Secure 3 and Secure 4 tiers can total hundreds of dollars per year.
- Petsecure has an upper age limit for their pet insurance.
Petsecure is Canada’s most experienced pet insurance provider. Choosing insurance with such a reputable company can be a huge benefit. Their insurance policies are designed by veterinary technicians and animal experts.
The variety of coverage options that are available means you can choose the perfect coverage for your pet.
Visit Petsecure’s website today to receive your free quote.
5. Pets Plus Us
Pets Plus Us is a top-rated pet insurance provider. They currently offer three coverage options:
- Accident: $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Up to 80% of veterinary fees are reimbursed. $100 annual deductible. Coverage for the Accident policy includes:
- Emergency Care
- Accident and Illness – Choose from $7,500 or $15,000 coverage per year. Three reimbursement options are available: 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the annual deductible is based on the age of your pet. Coverage includes everything offered by the Accident policy, plus coverage for:
- Injuries and accidents
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
- Wellness Coverage – This can be a stand-alone plan or added to your policy. You pay a monthly premium and schedule vet appointments based on your pet’s age. 100% of the vet fees are reimbursed. Coverage includes a variety of services. For example, neutering, de-worming, urinalysis, blood profile, heartworm testing, and dental care.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Pets Plus Us’ insurance policies.
- Treatment from any licensed veterinarian in Canada or the U.S. is covered.
- Pets Plus Us offers a 4Life Guarantee. This means benefits are guaranteed to renew every year.
- Pets Plus Us offers all customers Blue Ribbon Benefits. This gives you access to a 24/7 emergency vet line, a pet poison helpline, and a compassionate care line. You will also get emergency medical coverage of up to $1,000 and access to a pet concierge service.
- There is no upper age limit.
- Pets Plus Us also offers educational articles on a variety of pet-related topics and information about pet ownership. There is also a blog and a free e-newsletter.
- All insurance plans include $1,000 in additional benefits. This can be used for pet boarding if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards and cremation or burial.
- Claims take between 15-20 working days to process. This is longer than many of Pets Plus Us’ competitors.
- Dental treatment and wellness care are not offered as standard.
Pets Plus Us is a relative newcomer to the pet insurance market. However, they are already growing in popularity and are highly rated.
Their different coverage options can be a huge advantage as you can choose the perfect amount of coverage for your pet.
One of the disadvantages of Pets Plus Us is the inability to choose your own deductible. However, this could work out cheaper overall. Especially if you make multiple claims in one year.
Visit the Pets Plus Us website today for more information.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
You don’t need to be a pet owner to understand how pet insurance works. If you have other policies that protect your car, home, or your own health, you already understand the process. You pay a monthly or annual premium to an insurance provider, and they protect you, your home, your car, or in this case, your pet.
What type of protection or care your insurance offers varies depending on the company and policy. But, standard pet insurance typically covers fees related to hospitalization, emergency care, surgery, illnesses, and medicine. Some policies cover ‘extras’ such as dental and chiropractors. Yet, other policies only offer this as an optional add-on.
Pet insurance, Canada, is typically available with a monthly fee and deductible. Both fees vary greatly depending on what policy you choose. This is because deductibles tend to be highly customizable. If you want a lower monthly fee, you can request a higher deductible and vice versa.
Another factor that influences the cost of your insurance is your pets’ health. If they are older or bigger, for example, you may end up paying more. This is because insurance providers see older and bigger pets as more of a liability.
Every insurance provider is different and offers different coverage. Pet owners should look into each policy thoroughly to make sure it meets their pet’s needs and their budget.
The Bottom Line
Even if you don’t think insurance is necessary, it’s often better to be safe than sorry. You don’t want to be stuck with vet bills you can’t afford. You want your pet to receive the care they need.
If Trupanion or Petplan doesn’t suit your needs, there are many other pet insurance companies out there. All of the pet insurance providers we have looked at today would be excellent options for protecting your pet. Visit their websites today for more information and to begin your pet insurance journey.