Pet Insurance Vancouver
In Vancouver, British Columbia, there is more time to enjoy the outdoors, and many pet owners do that with their four-legged friends. Pet insurance in Canada is growing as more people treat their pets like family members. Pet owners are seeking the best pet insurance coverage to help with bills from the vet.
Insurance for pets in Canada can be a maze of companies with different options. It’s hard to make sense of the plans, their monthly premiums, and what deductible is right for you. Below, we will help you by looking at two of the best and well-known Canadian pet insurance companies. As a bonus, we offer insight into the best pet insurance in other cities and provinces in Canada, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Winnipeg, and also Quebec, Ontario, and Alberta.
An excellent option for pet insurance is an insurance company called Petplan. Petplan is a North American pet insurance company offering insurance plans for your pets in Canada. Petplan. As one of the nation’s most popular pet insurance firms, Petplan has operations in the U.S. and Canada. They claim to provide the most comprehensive coverage of all pet insurance companies in North America.
Petplan offers insurance for cats and dogs of all ages and breeds. Their plans for cats and dogs cover things like accidents and injuries. They even cover hereditary and chronic conditions. Like other companies, they cover diagnostic treatments for your pet and the vet exam fees.
Petplan’s policies are customizable. Standard coverage includes:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Holistic care.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
- Dental illness and injury.
One of the big advantages of Petplan’s pet insurance is the option to customize your policy. Choosing your own payment options and monthly payment amounts allows you to create a plan that suits your finances. Petplan allows you to alter the following features:
- Maximum annual benefit – This is the maximum amount you can be reimbursed each year. The lower your annual benefit, the lower your monthly premium will be. Annual benefits range from $2,500 to unlimited.
- Annual deductible – This is the fixed amount you are responsible for paying before you are covered by insurance. A higher deductible results in a lower monthly premium. Deductibles range from $100-$1,000.
- Reimbursement amount– This is the percentage of each vet bill that will be reimbursed to you. The higher the reimbursement percentage, the lower the monthly premium. Petplan offers 70%, 80% and 90% reimbursement options.
Once you have signed up for your chosen plan, your accident and emergency coverage will activate after 24 hours. Illness coverage will activate after 14 days. Making a claim is easy and relatively stress-free. Petplan offers a speedy reimbursement service. The majority of reimbursements are processed within 7 days.
To help you decide if Petplan is the best option for your pet, let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons.
- Petplan has an excellent reputation. They have been operating for nearly 20 years.
- Petplan offers different saving options per month if you don’t make any claims on your insurance. With no claims, you can save 15% to 30% off your monthly fees. They also have a 5% discount bonus on new pet insurance plans when you sign up online.
- Making a claim is easy with their mobile app; you can do the same through their website.
- 90% of veterinarian costs are covered, meaning you never need to worry about most of the cost of your dog or cat getting hurt.
- If you need pet insurance quickly, then Petplan is an excellent choice. If the sign-up process is done correctly, you only need to wait 24 hours for benefits that cover accidents and injuries. For the benefits that cover pet illness, you will have to wait two weeks.
- The average cost of pet insurance is $25 for cats and $35 for dogs. This is lower than the industry average.
- Flexible pricing options are available.
- Petplan values transparency. There are no hidden fees or charges to worry about.
- There is no upper age limit for Petplan’s insurance.
- Petplan covers up to 90% of your veterinary bills
- Petplan will reimburse you for treatment from any licensed vets in Canada and the U.S.
- Customer services are available 24/7.
- Claims can be made online or through Petplan’s mobile app.
- Petplan has an A+ rating with Better Business Bureau (BBB). This is the highest possible rating.
- Petplan does not allow your veterinary clinic to bill them. You will pay the bill first, then apply for it to be reimbursed according to your plan. This process can take time.
- Petplan requires you to give your pet yearly health and dental check-ups to keep the plan.
- The monthly fee is also slightly higher than some other companies that operate in Vancouver. If you pay with your credit card instead of a chequing or savings account, you will be charged a processing fee.
- You must visit the vet within 48 hours of a condition developing.
Despite the downsides that come with building a plan from Petplan, there are a lot of upsides. Their insurance plans cover much more than many of the other options out there. Their plans are some of the best in Canada, covering many things that others do not. Petplan is also one of the most reputable insurance providers in the country.
Although the annual check-up requirements can be a downside for some customers, Petplan offers some great discount options. They also allow you to design your own payment options to suit your budget.
It is free of charge to apply for a quote on Petplan’s website. You can even alter the payment options to see how much you can expect to pay for pet insurance. Visit their website today for more information.
Trupanion provides pet insurance in Canada out of Seattle; they offer plans for your dog and cat. Although based in the US, they offer pet insurance coverage throughout Canada and the United States, and Puerto Rico. Trupanion is on a mission to make the process easy for the pet owner. They offer to pay 90% of vet bills for eligible claims.
Trupanion is one of the leading pet insurance providers in the country. They offer comprehensive insurance at an affordable price. Trupanion has reimbursed more than $1 billion in insurance claims.
Trupanion is one of the only insurers in the country that makes payments directly to your vet. If your pet has costly treatment, the majority of insurers require you to pay the vet bill out of pocket. Trupanion instead pays the vet directly, saving you money in the short term.
Trupanion offers one single insurance plan. Comprehensive coverage includes:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
- Hereditary conditions, including elbow or hip dysplasia, diabetes, and thyroid disease.
- Unidentified conditions that your vet is unable to diagnose.
- Congenital conditions that your pet developed before birth.
- Breed-specific conditions.
- Unexpected injuries or illnesses.
If you require additional coverage, two policy enhancements are available:
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – This includes alternative treatments such as Acupuncture and Chiropractic Treatment. Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, and Rehabilitation are also covered.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – This is coverage that is not limited to the vet. This includes advertising and rewards for lost pets, boarding fees if you are hospitalized and liability coverage. Cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled and burial or cremation costs are also included.
Trupanion also gives you the option to choose your own deductible. Deductibles can range from $0-$1,000. You must pay the deductible for every new condition.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Trupanion’s pet insurance.
- Trupanion has excellent coverage for pet insurance. They offer some of the most robust plans for pets in Canada.
- Trupanion offers 90% coverage. This means you are only responsible for your deductible, plus the remaining 10%.
- You can choose your own deductible, ranging from $0-$1,000. You can change your deductible amount for free within the first 30 days.
- Their customer service is available 24/7 for questions you might have about the coverage.
- Their plans cover the medical expenses of injuries that are unexpected, as well as illnesses your pet may face.
- Trupanion covers anything your dog may have inherited genetically. Any unidentified issues and anything your pet might have developed after birth.
- With their three options, you can customize your plan, the monthly premium, and the deductible.
- Pet insurance through Trupanion comes into effect quickly. It covers injuries after 5 days and 30 days for illnesses.
- They cover many items other pet insurance providers do not. They cover things like diagnostic tests, medication, and Veterinary supplements.
- There are no per incident, annual or lifetime limits for payouts.
- Trupanion has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A-. This is one of the highest possible ratings.
- The price of your policy will never increase because of your pet’s age or any conditions they develop.
- Exam fees are not included in the policy. It also does not cover dog and cat wellness or any preventive care. So, it will not cover your pets’ flea and tick treatments or vaccinations.
- When signing up for the plan, there is a fee of $34 for a new customer.
- If you have picked an option with a lower deductible, then chances are your monthly premiums will be higher than other insurance for pets in Canada.
- It can take up to 60 days for Trupanion to pay out on a claim.
While there are some downsides to insurance through Trupanion, there are many upsides. Outstanding customer service means you never worry about having unanswered questions during an emergency. Customer service is available by phone 24/7.
Their terms are nicely outlined, and you have a clear understanding of all the coverage per year. If the standard plan is not enough, they also offer add-ons for great prices to cover extra therapy and extra protection for breeding dogs.
Trupanion provides a high reimbursement rate of 90%. They also allow you to choose your own deductible.
The Trupanion website is simple and easy and easy to use. Get a free quote from one of the best pet insurance companies out there and protect your pet’s health.
Insurdinary is an insurance quotes comparison site. They compare quotes from more than 50 insurance providers across Canada. Insurdinary currently has more than 50,000 monthly users.
Insurdinary’s insurance search engine is free, easy to use and has no obligation. You can search multiple insurance providers in Vancouver at the same time to get the best rates.
When searching for your quote, you will be asked questions about your pet. You will also be asked the pet insurance features you are most interested in. You will be shown a tailored list of insurance quotes that match your requirements.
Insurdinary offers three different types of pet insurance:
- Standard Coverage – This includes coverage for accidents, illnesses, and emergency care. X-rays, tests, surgeries, and hospitalizations are also covered.
- Intermediate Coverage– This includes the standard coverage, as well as additional coverage for things such as check-ups and vaccinations.
- Advanced Coverage –This also covers alternative treatments and dental coverage. Prescription coverage is also included.
Once you have accessed your personalized list of quotes, Insurdinary will help you to apply for your chosen policy.
Below is a list of some of the pros and cons of searching for your pet insurance policy with Insurdinary.
- Insurdinary is partnered with dozens of insurance providers in Vancouver. This allows you to find the best insurance at the lowest possible rate.
- There are no fees for using Insurdinary’s search engine. It is also obligation-free.
- There are no hidden fees or deposit requirements.
- Insurdinary offers free educational blogs on a range of topics. It also offers useful tips and information about pet insurance.
- It takes less than 5 minutes to access your tailored list of insurance quotes.
- Customer services are available 24/7 and can be contacted over the phone, online or via email.
- Insurdinary offers you the option to bundle your insurance for cheaper rates. This could offer great discounts on your insurance.
- There is an upper age limit. Pets over 14 years old will be ineligible for insurance.
- Insurdinary is not the pet insurance provider. Insurance will be provided by a third party.
If you are looking for insurance with the lowest monthly premium, using an insurance comparison site is a great way to access the lowest rates. Insurdinary allows you to easily compare multiple providers and policies in less than 5 minutes.
However, as Insurdinary is not your insurance provider, they may not be able to offer you much help or advice regarding your insurance plan. Luckily, Insurdinary only partners with reputable insurance providers.
Visit their website today for more information and to access your personalized list of insurance quotes.
Petsecure is the oldest pet insurance provider in Canada. They have been operating for more than 30 years and have grown to become one of the largest pet insurance providers in Canada.
This 100% Canadian-owned company partnered with veterinary technicians to offer insurance designed with your pet in mind. They offer comprehensive coverage that includes cover for accidents, illnesses, hospitalizations, and surgery. Petsecure also covers hereditary conditions, prescriptions, and medications.
Petsecure has four different levels of coverage for you to choose from:
|Accident Coverage||Illness Cover||Dental Cover||Wellness Coverage||Preventative Care|
|Secure 1||$1,000 – per accident||$1,000 – per condition, per year||$200 – per year||No||No|
|Secure 2||$2,500 – per accident||$2,500 – per condition, per year||$300 – per year||No||No|
|Secure 3||$5,000 – per accident||$5,000 – per condition, per year||$400 – per year||No||No|
|Secure 4||Unlimited||Unlimited||$600 – per year||Yes||Yes|
The cost of your monthly premium will be determined by a number of factors, including the age and breed of your pet. You can also choose your own deductible amount, which will also affect your monthly premium. The higher the deductible the lower your monthly premium will be. Deductibles range from $100-$700.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Petsecure.
- Petsecure’s response time to claims is faster than the industry average at only 7-10 days.
- Petsecure will reimburse up to 80% of your veterinary bills.
- Multi-pet discounts are available.
- Accident coverage will begin after 48 hours and illness coverage after 14 days. Dental coverage will begin after 6 months.
- Dental care is included in all plans.
- Additional non-veterinary benefits are covered by Petsecure. This includes boarding fees if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards. Cremation or burial costs and holiday cancellation coverage are also included.
- A claim can be submitted at any time within 6 months of treatment.
- You may be required to pay a higher deductible because of your pet’s age. Pets above 10 years old may require a deductible of $700.
- The Secure 3 and Secure 4 plans are quite expensive. Some of Petsecure’s competitors offer similar coverage for a cheaper price.
If you are looking for an insurance provider that offers multiple coverage levels, Petsecure could be a great option.
Although the Secure 3 and Secure 4 plans are quite expensive, they offer a high level of coverage. The Secure 1 and Secure 2 plans are competitively priced and great for those looking for a low monthly premium.
Visit Petsecure’s website today to receive your free pet insurance quote.
5. Pets Plus Us
Pets Plus Us is a top-rate insurance provider in Canada and is growing in popularity. Pets Plus Us are proud pet lovers and pet owners. As well as insurance, they also offer a community that empowers and informs pet owners. They offer help and support to pet owners, as well as comfort and counselling if you are ever worried about or grieving for your pet.
Pets Plus Us offers three different coverage levels for your pet.
This covers your pet in the event of an accident. Coverage is set at $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Pets Plus will reimburse up to 80% of your veterinary fees. The annual deductible for this policy is $100. The Accident policy includes the following coverage.
- Emergency Care
Accident and Illness Coverage:
This policy covers your pet in the event of accidents, injuries and illnesses. Two different coverage amounts are available for you to choose from – $7,500 or $15,000 per year. There are three reimbursement options available for you to choose from- 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the annual deductible is based on the age of your pet. Coverage includes everything offered by the Accident policy, plus coverage for:
- Injuries and accidents
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
This can be a stand-alone plan or added to one of the other policies. You pay a monthly premium and schedule vet appointments for services based on your pet’s age. 100% of the vet fees are reimbursed. Coverage includes a variety of services. This includes neutering, de-worming, urinalysis, blood profile, heartworm testing, and dental care.
Below is a list of some of the pros and cons of Pets Plus Us’ insurance policies.
- All customers receive a 4Life Guarantee. This means your benefits are guaranteed to renew every year, regardless of your pet’s age or any conditions they develop.
- All customers also receive Blue Ribbon Benefits. This gives access to a 24/7 emergency vet phone line, a pet poison helpline, and a compassionate care line. Customers will also receive emergency medical coverage of up to $1,000 and access to a pet concierge service.
- There is no upper age limit for Pets Plus Us’ insurance.
- Visits to any licensed vet in Canada or the U.S. are covered.
- You can choose your reimbursement amount from a variety of options.
- Submitting a claim is quick and easy. Pets Plus Us aims to make the claims process as stress-free as possible.
- You will have free access to educational resources, a blog, and an e-newsletter on Pets Plus Us’ website.
- Deductible amounts are not optional and are based on your pet’s age. Your deductible could be as high as $700.
- Dental coverage is not included in any of the insurance plans.
Pets Plus Us is a top-rated insurer in Vancouver. They offer three different insurance plans for you to choose from. The plan you choose is guaranteed for the lifetime of your pet.
Although Pets Plus Us offers you the opportunity to choose your reimbursement amount, you cannot choose your deductible. This can be problematic for customers who have a specific budget in mind.
However, Pets Plus Us offers some great advantages to all customers. Visit their website today for more information and to access your free pet insurance quote.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
If you have health insurance or other insurance, you have a basic understanding of how insurance works. Pet insurance is much the same.
Once you choose your company and your plan, you pay a premium either bi-weekly, monthly, or even yearly. In exchange, the company will cover a portion of the costs of bills for many issues.
The process of billing is different for each company. Some plans allow your vet office to bill them directly.
More commonly, you will pay the pill and submit that for that company to reimburse you. Sometimes you can submit online, through a mobile app, or their website platform.
Like others, there is a deductible to pay. Deductibles can range from $0 to $1000. If your deductible is higher, usually, the monthly fee is lower.
The number of things your plan covers depends on the plan you selected. Some plans are more than others for different reasons. Older dogs tend to cost more to insure since they have more health issues. Pure breeds can also cost more each month because of their higher rates of genetic problems.
The Bottom Line
If you are a pet owner, then it is a good idea to get your hands on some pet insurance. Here in Canada, we have government health coverage; our pets don’t. Little things like cuts, getting sick, and treatment can add up quickly.
Give yourself the peace of mind to know that no matter what, your pet is taken care of. Both Trupanion and Petplan offer a wide range of options for your pet.
For coverage beyond the usual, check out Trupanion and get a free quote from their website.
For that peace of mind that comes with a long-standing company, check out a free quote for Petplan using their online platform.