Even though Toronto doesn’t have a lot of green space, many residents still have animal companions. If you are one of them and want to get insurance to protect your pets, you’ve come to the right place!
We’re going to take a look at five of the best pet insurance companies in Ontario, Trupanion, Petplan, THS Pet Insurance, Petsecure and Pets Plus Us. Do you want to learn more about their policies to see if they fit you and your pet’s needs? Moreover, you can learn all about top pet insurance in other parts of Canada, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Quebec and Alberta. Now, keep reading!
Best Pet Insurance Toronto
If you’re looking for other insurance for pets, Canada, Petplan is our top recommended provider. Petplan was originally founded by pet owners and pet lovers in the United States. They are now one of the top pet insurance providers in the U.S. and Canada.
Petplan claims to offer the most comprehensive insurance in North America. Their insurance policies cover:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Holistic care.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
- Dental illness and injury.
Coverage is available for cats and dogs of all ages and breeds. You can search for a pet insurance quote on Petplan’s website free of charge and with no obligation required. When searching for a quote, you can higher or lower your monthly repayments by toggling the following features:
- Maximum annual benefit – The maximum amount you can be paid back per year. The higher your annual benefit, the higher your monthly premium will be. Annual benefits range from $2,500 to unlimited.
- Annual deductible – The fixed amount you are responsible for paying before you are covered by insurance. A lower deductible results in a higher monthly premium. Deductibles range from $100-$1,000.
- Reimbursement amount– The percentage of each vet bill you will be reimbursed. The higher the reimbursement percentage, the lower the monthly premium. Petplan offers 70%, 80% and 90% reimbursement options.
Once you have signed up to your chosen insurance plan, your pet’s accident and emergency cover will begin after 24 hours. The illness coverage will begin after 14 days.
If you need to make a claim, Petplan won’t bill your vet directly but should reimburse your claim within five to seven days. You can make a claim online or through the mobile app.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Petplan’s insurance policy.
- Petplan is a well-known, international company. They have been in North America since 2007.
- There is no claims limit for any illnesses. They also do not have an annual claim limit.
- You will be covered for most scenarios with Petplan. They include things that other companies might consider optional such as exam fees and boarding fees. Additional services such as dental, hydrotherapy, and chiropractic care are also included.
- If their plan seems too expensive, there are great discounts available. If you purchase your policy online, you can get 5% off. If you didn’t need to make any claims within a year, you would get a 15% discount (capped at 30%).
- Petplan’s pricing and fees are completely transparent. There are no sign-up costs or additional fees to worry about.
- Flexible pricing options are available.
- Making a claim is easy as Petplan has an Android and iOs app, or you can make claims directly on their website.
- Chronic conditions, hereditary diseases, and congenital diseases will be covered. Breed-specific conditions are also included.
- Up to 90% of your bills will be covered.
- Your policy will be ready to use quickly. Accident and injury benefits can be used within 24 hours. Illness benefits can be used in two weeks.
- Petplan’s website provides some great information and educational resources. This includes information about pet health, animal safety, and insurance tips.
- There is no upper age limit. You can insure your pet from 6 weeks of age.
- All licensed vets in Canada and the U.S. are included in Petplan’s insurance.
- Customer services are available 24/7.
- Petplan a BBB rating of A+, which is the highest possible rating.
- As we mentioned, Petplan will not pay your vet directly. This could be seen as a con because receiving reimbursement could take longer than a week.
- Your pet will need to be taken for annual health and dental check-ups. This is a necessity to receive coverage.
- To receive consistent coverage, your pet must be taken to the vet within 48 hours of an illness or injury being noticed.
- Petplan has an annual deductible rather than per condition. This may end up costing more than a different plan if your pet does not develop any illnesses.
- If you pay for your monthly or annual payments with a credit card, there is a $3.50 charge.
- Petplan premiums may be more expensive than other companies that offer pet insurance in Canada.
Petplan has built up a good reputation over the years, especially since they exist internationally. Despite their head start, they are starting to lag behind other companies that offer pet insurance in Canada. Their plans are comprehensive but expensive compared to other insurance companies.
However, Petplan offers excellent customer service. They are a trustworthy, knowledgeable company that really cares about your pets.
If you are a pet owner looking for a reputable Canadian pet insurance company, Petplan is still a great option as their plans have excellent coverage.
Visit Petplan’s website today for more information or to receive your free pet insurance quote.
If you’re looking for almost complete coverage for your vet bills, look no further! Trupanion is a well-known and trusted pet insurance provider. Trupanion provides pet insurance in Canada, the U.S. and Australia. They have paid out more than $1 billion in pet insurance claims since they opened in 2000.
Trupanion offers simple and affordable pet insurance that still offers great coverage. Trupanion offers one, simple insurance plan with comprehensive coverage. The coverage that is included with this plan includes:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
- Hereditary conditions, including elbow or hip dysplasia, diabetes, and thyroid disease.
- Unidentified conditions that your vet is unable to diagnose.
- Congenital conditions that your pet developed before birth.
- Breed-specific conditions.
- Unexpected injuries or illnesses.
If you require additional coverage, you can choose from two different policy enhancements.
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – Alternative treatments such as Acupuncture and Chiropractic Treatment are covered. Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, and Rehabilitation are also included with this enhancement.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – This is coverage that is not limited to the vet. It includes advertising and rewards for lost pets, boarding fees if you are hospitalized and liability coverage. Cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled and burial or cremation costs are also included.
One of the biggest advantages of choosing Trupanion is that they pay your vet bill directly to the vet. With most insurers, you will be liable to pay the vet bill, with your insurer refunding their portion of the bill later on. This could mean you are thousands of dollars out of pocket. Trupanion covers your vet bill, up to 90% coverage. You simply have to pay the remaining 10%, plus your deductible to the vet.
You can choose your own deductible, with price options ranging from $0-$1,000. The higher the deductible, the lower your monthly payment will be. Deductibles are payable for each new condition your pet develops. You can opt to change your deductible at any time within the first 30 days for no charge.
Here’s a look at some of Trupanion’s pros and cons.
- Trupanion offers one standard plan, and they are very clear in what it covers. This makes choosing a policy extremely easy.
- 90% of your eligible claims will be covered. There is no per condition, annual or lifetime payout limit.
- You can customize your deductible to suit your budget.
- The vet bills are paid directly to your vet, meaning you are never out of pocket.
- This plan covers any new injuries or illnesses related to hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, and unidentified issues.
- Trupanion has great customer service as their team is available by phone at all times.
- Although there is only one policy available, it can be customized in some ways. You can choose how much of a deductible you pay when your pet develops a new condition. You can also add optional coverage.
- The optional coverage consists of services such as hydrotherapy, chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, and more.
- 24/7 customer services are available.
- Trupanion has a Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating of A-, one of the highest possible ratings.
- The cost of your policy will never rise because of your pet’s age. Trupanion will also not raise the cost if your pet develops multiple conditions.
- Trupanion really cares about animals. They are a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA). This means they support animal welfare organizations and follow guidelines set out by regulators.
- Some things are not covered with the standard plan. Things like exam fees, flea control, vaccinations, and deworming will need to be paid out of pocket.
- They can cost a bit more than another insurance provider.
- Your pets – cats and dogs, and animals in general – will not be covered right away as there is a 30 day waiting period.
- Not every vet accepts a direct payment from Trupanion. If you then make a claim to be reimbursed, it could take up to 60 days.
- How much you pay for your deductible could change every year as you are paying per condition rather than annually. This might make it harder for you to create an annual budget.
Even though your monthly premium may be a bit more with Trupanion, many pet owners believe it is worth the cost for the coverage they get. As Trupanion covers 90% of your veterinary care, you will not have to pay much for the remaining 10%.
Trupanion also values its customers, so they make themselves readily available to talk 24/7. Similarly, they don’t make their insurance plans complicated to try to trick you. What you see is what you get with Trupanion. Their pet insurance plans are designed to be simple and affordable, while still offering you comprehensive coverage.
Trupanion is one of the best companies for pet insurance in Canada. If you are interested in their coverage, head over to their site for a free no-obligation quote!
3. THS Pet Insurance
The Toronto Humane Society (THS) was established in 1887. They have worked to promote the care and protection of all animals
They offer pet insurance for cats and dogs of all ages and breeds. THS Pet Insurance is underwritten and distributed by Petline, the only dedicated pet insurance provider in Canada.
THS Pet Insurance offers up to 80% coverage of your vet bills. Their coverage includes:
- Accident Coverage
- Illness Coverage – Including x-rays, medicine, diagnostics, and surgery.
- Comprehensive Dental Coverage – Dental care also includes annual teeth cleaning.
- Preventive Coverage
THS Pet Insurance offers four coverage options:
|Secure 1||Secure 2||Secure 3||Secure 4|
|Accidents||$1,000 per accident||$2,500 per accident||$5,000 per accident||Unlimited|
|Illness||$1,000 per condition, per year||$2,500 per condition, per year||$5,000 per condition, per year||Unlimited|
|Dental Coverage||$200 per year||$300 per year||$400 per year||$600 per year|
|Alternative Therapy||$250 per year||$350 per year||$350 per year||$350 per year|
|Behavioural Therapy||$350 per year||$350 per year||$350 per year||$350 per year|
|Medical Devices||$350 per year||$350 per year||$350 per year||$350 per year|
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of THS Pet Insurance.
- With four different policy options, you can choose the plan that best suits your needs and budget.
- If you adopt a pet through the Toronto Humane Society, you will receive an eight-week free trial of pet insurance.
- All plans include exam fees, prescriptions, and hospitalizations.
- Receive additional benefits of $1,000 per incident for lost pet advertising and holiday cancellation. You will also receive $1,000 for cremation or burial.
- You only need to pay one annual deductible, regardless of how many claims you make that year.
- You can choose from two different deductible amounts.
- Claims can be made online or via email, mail, or fax.
- The customer care centre is not open 24 hours a day. If you need help or advice out of hours, THS Pet Insurance may be uncontactable.
- The Secure 3 and Secure 4 insurance plans can be quite expensive.
THS Pet Insurance is an excellent option for Torontonians looking for pet insurance. They are a provider that really cares about animals.
With four different insurance plans available, THS has a policy to suit every pet owner. Decide how much coverage you need and how much you want to pay per month. You can then choose the best policy for you.
If you are still unsure, you can contact THS directly and an experienced insurance advisor can help you out. Alternatively, visit their website today for your free pet insurance quote.
Petsecure has been operating since 1989 and is one of the oldest pet insurance providers in the country. They are a 100% Canadian-owned company and have grown in popularity to become one of the biggest providers of pet insurance in Canada.
Petsecure has four different coverage levels available.
- Secure 1 – Recommended for those looking for a low monthly premium and a more basic coverage level. Coverage includes $1,000 per accident, $1,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $200 dental coverage.
- Secure 2 – This is a more standard coverage level. Monthly premiums will still be relatively low. Coverage includes $2,500 per accident, $2,500 illness coverage per condition per year and $300 dental coverage.
- Secure 3 – This is comprehensive coverage with a higher coverage amount. Coverage includes $5,000 per accident, $5,000 illness coverage per condition per year and $400 dental coverage.
- Secure 4 – This is recommended for those who do not want pay-out limits. It includes unlimited coverage for accidents and illnesses and $600 per year for dental coverage. Wellness coverage and preventative care are also included.
Petsecure’s insurance plans are designed with veterinary technicians. As well as the standard insurance coverage, Petsecure also offers you coverage for:
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescriptions and medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
Policy prices can vary based on the age and breed of your pet. You can also choose your own deductible amount. The lower your deductible, the higher your monthly payment. All Petsecure’s plans come with 80% reimbursement as standard.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of choosing Petsecure as your insurance provider.
- A discount for insuring multiple pets is available.
- All insurance plans include dental coverage.
- You can choose your own deductible depending on the monthly premium you want to pay.
- The response time for claims is only 7-10 days. You can choose to be reimbursed via cheque or direct deposit.
- You can submit a claim at any time within 6 months of your pet receiving treatment.
- Additional coverage for non-veterinary expenses is included. This includes boarding fees if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards and cremation or burial costs.
- The annual wellness coverage includes check-ups, vaccinations, and flea treatments.
- The waiting period for accidents is 48 hours after you purchase the plan. Illnesses are covered after 14 days and dental care after 6 months.
- Pets above 8 years old must undergo physical exams, blood profiles and urinalysis before they can qualify for pet insurance.
- The Secure 3 and Secure 4 policies are not competitively priced.
Petsecure is a great option for those who want to choose their own level of coverage. You can also choose your own deductible, which can result in lower monthly payments.
Petsecure is especially popular with those looking for a cheaper policy with low monthly premiums. Although they only offer one reimbursement option. Petsecure is still very popular in Toronto.
Visit their website today for more information and to access your free quote.
5. Pets Plus Us
Pets Plus Us is a relative newcomer to the pet insurance market. However, they have already proved their worth and have become a top-rate pet insurance provider.
Pets Plus Us currently offers three main insurance options:
- Accident: Coverage includes $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Up to 80% of veterinary fees are reimbursed. The annual deductible is $100. This policy includes the following coverage.
- Emergency Care
- Accident and Illness – You can choose your coverage amount, from $7,500 or $15,000 per year. Three reimbursement options are available – 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the annual deductible is based on the age of your pet. Coverage includes everything offered by the Accident policy, plus coverage for:
- Injuries and accidents
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
- Wellness Coverage – This can be a stand-alone plan or added to another policy. You pay a monthly premium and schedule vet appointments based on your pet’s age. 100% of the vet fees are reimbursed. Coverage includes a variety of services. For example, neutering, de-worming, urinalysis, blood profile, heartworm testing, and dental care.
You can take your pet to any licensed vet in the U.S. or Canada as part of your insurance plan. Claims must be submitted within 6 months of your pet receiving treatment. You can make a claim online, via email, fax, or mail.
Let’s take a list of some of the pros and cons of Pets Plus Us.
- There are several coverage options available.
- You can choose the reimbursement amount that best suits you.
- Pets Plus Us offers a 4Life Guarantee. This means your benefits will be renewed every year, regardless of conditions or injuries your pet develops.
- All plans include Blue Ribbon Benefits. This gives you up to $1,000 in emergency medical coverage. You will also have 24/7 access to helpful phone lines, including an emergency vet line, a pet poison helpline, and a compassionate care line.
- Educational resources are available on the website. You also have access to a blog and an e-newsletter.
- There is no upper age limit.
- Pets over 8 years of age must have had a physical exam, blood analysis and urinalysis within the last two months to qualify for insurance.
- Claims can take up to 20 working days to process – longer than the industry average.
- Dental treatment and wellness care are not offered as standard.
Pets Plus Us has already become a popular and highly rated pet insurance provider. They offer three different policies, depending on your requirements. You can also choose your own reimbursement amount.
However, you cannot choose your own deductible. Deductibles can be as high as $700 depending on the type of pet you have and the policy you choose.
Pets Plus Us still offers some great benefits. Visit their website today for more information and to see your free, no-commitment quote.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Pet insurance is not as complicated as it may seem, especially if you already have any other type of insurance. To protect your pet if they get sick or are in an accident, you pay a monthly or annual premium to an insurance company. That company will then cover the cost associated with your pet’s care.
The standard pet insurance from most companies will cover accidents, illnesses, medicine, hospitalization, emergency care, and surgery. Providers tend to offer optional add-ons as well. These add-ons could cover additional care from chiropractors, dentists, acupuncturists, and more.
Your pet insurance premium will vary depending on your pet’s size and age. Older pets and bigger pets are often seen as more of a liability. This is because they will likely need to receive more medical care. Due to this, providers will charge a higher premium.
What fees you pay will also vary. Typically, you have to pay a deductible either annually or when your pet develops a new condition. Then, your provider will cover a portion of your bills. Whatever percentage of your bill is left (typically 10% minimum), you will have to pay.
As policies vary so much, make sure the policy you’re looking at is enough to suit your needs as well as your pet’s.
The Bottom Line
Many Torontonians tend to get insurance for their car or home because it is legally required. Although pet insurance is not a legal requirement, it is still a good idea to get it. Your animals become part of your family, and we hope you want to do everything you can to protect them. Insurance is the best way to do so.
Although we only discussed two insurance providers today, we believe they are the best options. If you’re looking for different policies, you can look into Petline Insurance Company. If not, head over to Trupanion or Petplan today to get a free, customized quote.
Don’t let yourself get stuck with veterinary bills you can’t pay. Instead, protect your animals ahead of time with comprehensive insurance.