Even though Toronto doesn’t have a lot of green space, many residents still have animal companions. If you are one of them and want to get insurance to protect your pets, you’ve come to the right place!
We’re going to take a look at two of the best pet insurance companies in Ontario, Trupanion and Petplan. Do you want to learn more about their policies to see if they fit you and your pet’s needs? Moreover, you can learn all about top pet insurance in other parts of Canada, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Quebec and Alberta. Now, keep reading!
Best Pet Insurance Toronto
If you’re looking for other insurance for pets, Canada, Petplan is your best option.
- Petplan is a well-known, international company. They have been in North America since 2006.
- You will be covered for most scenarios with Petplan. They include things that other companies might consider optional such as exam fees and boarding fees. Additional services such as dental, hydrotherapy, and chiropractic care are also included.
- If their plan seems too expensive, there are great discounts available. If you purchase your policy online, you can get 5% off. If you didn’t need to make any claims within a year, you would get a 15% discount (capped at 30%).
- Petplan won’t bill your vet directly but should reimburse your claim within five to seven days.
- Making a claim is easy as Petplan has an Android and iOs app, or you can make claims directly on their website.
- Chronic conditions, hereditary diseases, and congenital diseases will be covered.
- Up to 90% of your bills will be covered.
- Petplan does not impose an age limit for your pet.
- Your policy will be ready to use quickly. Accident and injury benefits can be used within 24 hours. Illness benefits can be used in two weeks.
- As we mentioned, Petplan will not pay your vet directly. This could be seen as a con because receiving reimbursement could take longer than a week.
- Your pet will need to be taken for annual health and dental check-ups. This is a necessity to receive coverage.
- To receive consistent coverage, your pet must be taken to the vet within 48 hours of an illness or injury being noticed.
- Petplan has an annual deductible rather than per condition. This may end up costing more than a different plan if your pet does not develop any illnesses.
- If you pay for your monthly or annual payments with a credit card, there is a $3.50 charge.
- Petplan premiums may be more expensive than other companies that offer pet insurance in Canada.
Petplan has built up quite a good reputation over the years, especially since they exist internationally. Despite their headstart, they are starting to lag behind other companies that offer pet insurance, Canada. Their plans are comprehensive but expensive compared to other insurance companies.
If you are a pet owner looking for a reputable Canada pet insurance company, Petplan is still a great option as their plans have excellent coverage.
If you’re looking for almost complete coverage for your vet bills, look no further! Trupanion has a great pet insurance plan. Here’s a look at some of its pros and cons.
- Trupanion offers one standard plan, and they are very clear in what it covers. This makes choosing a policy extremely easy.
- 90% of your eligible claims will be covered, and there is no payout limit
- This plan covers any new injuries or illnesses related to hereditary conditions, congenital conditions, and unidentified issues.
- Trupanion has great customer service as their team is available by phone at all times.
- Although there is only one policy available, it can be customized in some ways. You can choose how much of a deductible you pay when your pet develops a new condition. You can also add optional coverage.
- The optional coverage consists of services such as hydrotherapy, chiropractic treatment, acupuncture, and more.
- Some things are not covered with the standard plan. Things like exam fees, flea control, vaccinations, and deworming will need to be paid out of pocket.
- They can cost a bit more than another insurance provider.
- Your pets – cats and dogs, and animals in general – will not be covered right away as there is a 30 day waiting period.
- Not every vet accepts a direct payment from Trupanion. If you then make a claim to be reimbursed, it could take up to 60 days.
- How much you pay for your deductible could change every year as you are paying per condition rather than annually. This might make it harder for you to create an annual budget.
Even though your monthly premium may be a bit more with Trupanion, many pet owners believe it is worth the cost for the coverage they get. As Trupanion covers 90% of your veterinary care, you will not have to pay a lot for the remaining 10%.
Trupanion also values its customers, so they make themselves readily available to talk 24/7. Similarly, they don’t make their insurance plans complicated to try to trick you. What you see is what you get with Trupanion.
Trupanion is one of the best companies for pet insurance in Canada. If you are interested in their coverage, head over to their site for a free quote!
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Pet insurance is not as complicated as it may seem, especially if you already have any other type of insurance. To protect your pet if they get sick or are in an accident, you pay a monthly or annual premium to an insurance company. That company will then cover the cost associated with your pet’s care.
The standard pet insurance from most companies will cover accidents, illnesses, medicine, hospitalization, emergency care, and surgery. Providers tend to offer optional add-ons as well. These add-ons could cover additional care from chiropractors, dentists, acupuncturists, and more.
Your pet insurance premium will vary depending on your pet’s size and age. Older pets and bigger pets are often seen as more of a liability. This is because they will likely need to receive more medical care. Due to this, providers will charge a higher premium.
What fees you pay will also vary. Typically, you have to pay a deductible either annually or when your pet develops a new condition. Then, your provider will cover a portion of your bills. Whatever percentage of your bill is left (typically 10% minimum), you will have to pay.
As policies vary so much, make sure the policy you’re looking at is enough to suit your needs as well as your pet’s.
The Bottom Line
Many Torontonians tend to get insurance for their car or home because it is legally required. Although pet insurance is not a legal requirement, it is still a good idea to get it. Your animals become part of your family, and we hope you want to do everything you can to protect them. Insurance is the best way to do so.
Although we only discussed two insurance providers today, we believe they are the best options. If you’re looking for different policies, you can look into Petline Insurance Company. If not, head over to Trupanion or Petplan today to get a free, customized quote.
Don’t let yourself get stuck with veterinary bills you can’t pay. Instead, protect your animals ahead of time with comprehensive insurance.