Pet Insurance Alberta
Albertans are known for their love of wildlife and the great outdoors. It, therefore, makes sense that many residents in Alberta have a pet. Many people consider their pets to be members of their family, so keeping them healthy can be a top priority. So what do you do if your beloved cat or dog gets sick or injured? Some people do not consider this scenario until it is too late.
Taking out insurance coverage for your cat, dog, or another animal may be the best option for you. Pet insurance will protect you from unexpected veterinary bills. The cost of paying for your pet’s health care out of pocket can be expensive, with many procedures costing thousands of dollars. So how do you choose the best pet insurance for you? In this article, we will look at two of the most popular providers of pet insurance in Canada.
Table of Contents
Trupanion is one of the most well-known pet insurance companies in Canada. They offer one pet insurance plan that encompasses all of the needs of a pet owner. Trupanion is often rated as one of the best pet insurance providers on review sites. This is evident when searching online for insurance for pets Canada. Below, we will look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of their policy.
- Up to 90% of your veterinary bills are reimbursed.
- There is no maximum payout limit.
- You can change the deductible cost to suit your finances. A lower deductible usually results in higher monthly premiums.
- You only pay the deductible cost once per each condition.
- You can opt to have less coverage for a lower monthly premium.
- There is no lifetime or annual limit on your coverage or claim amount.
- They do not raise the cost of your premium if your pet develops multiple issues.
- They pay directly to your vet, meaning you do not have to cover the cost upfront.
- They offer 24/7 customer support. If you need advice or support in the event of an emergency, you can always contact them.
- Their Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating is A-. This means they scored higher than 90 out of 100 on a number of factors, including complaints, business practices and competency.
- The cost of Trupanion can be higher than other providers. You will usually pay more money each month.
- The time-frame for payout can be up to 60 days.
- Your monthly premium can be increased by up to 20% annually.
- Your pet does not have full coverage for the first 30 days of your policy.
- Only pets below the age of 14 are eligible for a new plan.
- Pre-existing conditions or injuries are not covered.
- Your plan is not customizable. It also does not cover extras such as vaccinations, checkups and the vet examination fees.
Trupanion is consistently favoured by pet owners in Canada. It is a trusted insurance company, and they provide good overall coverage. You can change the cost of the monthly premium and deductible to suit your financial situation. Even if you lower the cost and pay less money per month, you will still retain a high level of protection for your pet. The policies do not include some additional extras. For example, spaying/ neutering, vaccinations and health checkups. These are provided by some other companies. In order to receive a quote, you can provide your email address alongside your pet’s and your own personal information on the Trupanion website.
Petplan is one of the most experienced providers of pet insurance. They have been providing pet insurance worldwide for over 40 years. They have been providing Canada pet insurance for over 15 years. They are known for having a comprehensive cover and excellent customer support.
- You can claim up to 30% of your policy cost back if you do not make any claims.
- There are flexible pricing options and a variety of plans available to suit your budget.
- Your veterinary examination fees are covered.
- There are no restrictions or limitations for conditions that are hereditary or congenital.
- They include additional coverage for services such as hydrotherapy and chiropractic care. They will also cover hospitalization fees up to $1000.
- They cover MRI, CAT scans, ultrasounds and diagnostic testing as part of their policy. These are often not included with other insurance providers.
- The cost of your deductible does not rise as your pet ages.
- They are renowned for processing your claim quickly. Payment is usually made within a week.
- There is no upper age limit on their policy.
- They include comprehensive dental coverage in their policy.
- Their customer support is open 24/7.
- Their policy covers your cat, dog, or other animals throughout Canada and the US. This means you can visit any vet in North America for no additional fee.
- Their Better Business Burea (BBB) rating is A+, which is the highest possible score.
- You must take your pet to the vet within 48 hours of their symptoms presenting. Otherwise, you are not covered by insurance.
- You must take your pet for annual health and dental checkups, or your policy may be invalidated.
- Each claim may have a limit of $2500.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
- Pets above six years of age must be checked over by the vet within 30 days of your policy starting.
- Although there is no upper age limit, your policy options will reduce as your pet ages.
- They require a lot of documentation and evidence when submitting a claim. This can slow down the process and delay the payment.
Petplan is a popular choice for pet insurance in Canada. They are renowned for having excellent customer service and comprehensive coverage. Petplan is known as being the gold standard for pet insurance. They cover a variety of treatment options that are not usually included in standard policies. Petplan can cost more money than other providers, so do your research and make sure you have the best plan for you. If you are interested in taking out a Petplan policy, you can visit their website for more information. Complete the form detailing the information about your pet and yourself, and provide an email address to receive a quote.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Pet insurance involves paying a set monthly premium. If your pet gets sick or injured, you will pay a deductible fee. This is a pre-agreed amount that enables you to claim on your policy. A deductible is usually between 10-30% of the veterinary fees. The insurance company will then cover the remaining percentage of the veterinary bill. This percentage will usually be pre-agreed. You do not have to pay any interest rates on your insurance policy.
The cost of your insurance can change depending on the level of cover you desire and the amount of your deductible. The age of your pet will also be a factor. A cat is usually cheaper to insure than a dog. Some insurance companies will require you to pay for the treatment and will later reimburse you. Others will pay directly to your vet. Always research pet insurance providers thoroughly. Just as you would when purchasing health insurance for yourself.
The Bottom Line
Pet insurance may seem like an unnecessary expenditure. However, the cost of paying for veterinary treatment out of pocket can leave you with thousands of dollars of debt. You should therefore consider all of your options carefully before making a decision.
Petplan and Trupanion are among the best-rated pet insurance providers in Canada. However, it is always worth researching other providers, such as Western Financial and Petline Insurance Company. Before choosing your policy, consider the needs of your pet and the level of insurance coverage you anticipate you will need. Also, consider your family’s financial situation.
Our beloved pets often feel like members of our families. If you could not really afford to pay the money out of pocket to cover the cost of their treatment in the event of an emergency, pet insurance may be the best option for you.