Pet Insurance Alberta
Albertans are known for their love of wildlife and the great outdoors. It, therefore, makes sense that many residents in Alberta have a pet. Many people consider their pets to be members of their family, so keeping them healthy can be a top priority. So, what do you do if your beloved cat or dog gets sick or injured? Some people do not consider this scenario until it is too late.
Taking out insurance coverage for your cat, dog, or another animal may be the best option for you. Pet insurance will protect you from unexpected veterinary bills.
The cost of paying for your pet’s health care out of pocket can be expensive, with many procedures costing thousands of dollars. So how do you choose the best pet insurance for you? In this article, we will look at five of the most popular providers of pet insurance in Canada. Also, apart from Alberta, we added similar reviews of pet insurance in other parts of the country, namely in Edmonton, Ottawa, Toronto, Vancouver, Winnipeg, and also Quebec as a whole.
Petplan is one of the most experienced providers of pet insurance. They have been providing pet insurance worldwide for over 40 years. They have been providing pet insurance in Canada for over 15 years. They are known for having a comprehensive cover and excellent customer support.
Policies are completely customizable, but generally include coverage for:
- Injuries and illnesses.
- Diagnostic tests.
- Veterinary exam fees.
- Virtual vet visits.
- Imaging and ultrasound.
- Cancer treatment.
- Surgery and rehabilitation.
- Holistic care.
- Emergencies and specialist vets.
- Behavioural therapy.
- Chiropractic care.
- Dental illness and injury.
Petplan also allows you to customize the financial aspects of your insurance policy. You can choose your maximum annual benefit, from $2,500-unlimited. Annual deductibles are available ranging from $100-$1,000. You can also choose whether you want 70%, 80% or 90% reimbursement of your veterinary bills.
If you choose Petplan for your pet insurance, the accident and emergency coverage will activate after 24 hours. Your pet will receive illness coverage after 14 days.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of Petplan’s pet insurance policies.
- You can claim up to 30% of your policy cost back if you do not make any claims.
- There are flexible pricing options and a variety of plans available to suit your budget.
- Your veterinary examination fees are covered.
- There are no restrictions or limitations for conditions that are hereditary or congenital.
- They include additional coverage for services such as hydrotherapy and chiropractic care. They will also cover hospitalization fees up to $1000.
- They cover MRI, CAT scans, ultrasounds, and diagnostic testing as part of their policy. These are often not included with other insurance providers.
- The cost of your deductible does not rise as your pet ages.
- They are renowned for processing your claim quickly. Payment is usually made within a week.
- There is no upper age limit on their policy.
- They include comprehensive dental coverage in their policy.
- Their customer support is open 24/7.
- Their policy covers your dog, cat, or other animals throughout Canada and the US. This means you can visit any vet in North America for no additional fee.
- Their Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating is A+, which is the highest possible score.
- Treatment from any licensed vet in Canada or the U.S. is covered by Petplan’s policies.
- Fees are completely transparent, with no hidden charges or upfront costs to worry about.
- The claims process is quick and easy. You can make a claim through the mobile app or on the website.
- Petplan reimburses your veterinary fees in 7 days. This is much faster than the industry average.
- You must take your pet to the vet within 48 hours of their symptoms presenting. Otherwise, you are not covered by insurance.
- You must take your pet for annual health and dental checkups, or your policy may be invalidated.
- Each claim may have a limit of $2500.
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
- Pets above six years of age must be checked over by the vet within 30 days of your policy starting.
- Although there is no upper age limit, your policy options will reduce as your pet ages.
- They require a lot of documentation and evidence when submitting a claim. This can slow down the process and delay the payment.
Petplan is a popular choice for pet insurance in Canada. They are renowned for having excellent customer service and comprehensive coverage.
Petplan is known as being the gold standard for pet insurance. They cover a variety of treatment options that are not usually included in standard policies.
Petplan can cost more money than other providers, so do your research and make sure you have the best plan for your pet.
If you are interested in taking out a Petplan policy, you can visit their website for more information. Complete the form detailing the information about your pet and yourself and provide an email address to receive a quote.
Trupanion is one of the most well-known pet insurance companies in Canada. They offer one pet insurance plan that encompasses all of the needs of a pet owner. Trupanion is often rated as one of the best pet insurance providers on review sites. This is evident when searching online for insurance for pets in Canada.
Trupanion’s insurance plan offers coverage for:
- Diagnostic tests.
- Hospital stays.
- Veterinary supplements.
- Herbal therapy.
- Prosthetic devices and carts.
- Hereditary conditions, including elbow or hip dysplasia, diabetes, and thyroid disease.
- Unidentified conditions that your vet is unable to diagnose.
- Congenital conditions that your pet developed before birth.
- Breed-specific conditions.
- Unexpected injuries or illnesses.
If your pet requires additional coverage. Trupanion offers two policy enhancements that can be added to your plan:
- The Recovery and Complementary Care Rider – This offers coverage for alternative treatments such as Acupuncture and Chiropractic Treatment. Behaviour Modification, Hydrotherapy, and Rehabilitation are also included in this policy enhancement.
- Pet Owner Assistance Package – This is coverage that is not limited to the vet. This includes coverage for advertising and rewards for lost pets and boarding fees if you are hospitalized. Liability coverage, cancellation costs if your vacation is cancelled and burial or cremation costs are also included.
Below, we will look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of their policy.
- Up to 90% of your veterinary bills are reimbursed.
- There is no maximum payout limit.
- You can change the deductible cost to suit your finances. A lower deductible usually results in higher monthly premiums. Deductibles range from $0-$1,000.
- You only pay the deductible cost once per each condition.
- You can opt to have less coverage for a lower monthly premium.
- There is no lifetime or annual limit on your coverage or claim amount.
- They do not raise the cost of your premium if your pet develops multiple issues.
- They pay directly to your vet, meaning you do not have to cover the cost upfront.
- They offer 24/7 customer support. If you need advice or support in the event of an emergency, you can always contact them.
- Their Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating is A-. This means they scored higher than 90 out of 100 on a number of factors, including complaints, business practices and competency.
- Trupanion will never raise the cost of your policy because of your pet’s age.
- The cost of your policy will also not rise if your pet develops multiple conditions.
- Trupanion is a member of the North American Pet Health Insurance Association (NAPHIA). They offer support to animal welfare organizations and follow guidelines set out by regulators.
- The cost of Trupanion can be higher than other providers. You will usually pay more money each month, especially if you choose a lower deductible.
- The timeframe for pay-outs can be up to 60 days.
- Your monthly premium can be increased by up to 20% annually.
- Your pet does not have full coverage for the first 30 days of your policy.
- Only pets below the age of 14 are eligible for a new plan.
- Pre-existing conditions or injuries are not covered.
- Your plan is not customizable. It also does not cover extras such as vaccinations, check-ups and vet examination fees.
Trupanion is consistently favoured by pet owners in Canada. It is a trusted insurance company, and they provide good overall coverage. You can change the cost of the monthly premium and deductible to suit your financial situation. Even if you lower the cost and pay less money per month, you will still retain a high level of protection for your pet.
One of the biggest advantages of Trupanion’s pet insurance policy is the direct to vet payments. This means you will never be out of pocket if your pet requires costly treatment.
However, the policies do not include some additional extras. For example, spaying/ neutering, vaccinations, and health check-ups. These services are covered by some other companies.
In order to receive a quote, you can provide your email address alongside your pet’s and your own personal information on the Trupanion website.
Insurdinary differs from our first two recommendations as it is an insurance quotes comparison site, rather than an insurance provider. Insurdinary is partnered with more than 50 insurers across Canada. This allows you to compare quotes quickly and easily from multiple insurers at the same time.
Insurdinary will first ask you to provide information about your pet. You will then be asked which pet insurance features are your top priority. Insurdinary will then generate a tailored list of insurance quotes from the best insurers in Alberta.
You can then choose the policy and insurance provider that best suits your budget and insurance needs. Insurdinary currently boasts more than 50,000 monthly users.
Let’s take a look at some of the pros and cons of choosing Insurdinary.
- There are no upfront costs or hidden fees to worry about.
- Insurdinary is partnered with dozens of insurance providers in Alberta.
- It only takes 1-5 minutes for Insurdinary to compare dozens of insurance and collate your tailored list of quotes.
- It is completely free to view your personalized quotes and there is no obligation required.
- You can bundle your insurance with other products for cheaper rates.
- Customer services are available 24/7.
- Insurdinary provides free education blogs on its website for a range of topics. This includes information about pet insurance.
- Pets over 14 years of age are ineligible for insurance.
- To make a claim, or for information and advice, you will not be able to contact Insurdinary and will have to contact your insurer directly.
An insurance comparison site allows you to compare multiple quotes at one time. Insurdinary is a great option for those looking to find a cheaper policy with lower monthly payments.
However, if you are looking for a specialist pet insurer, Insurdinary may not be the best option. Once you have chosen your policy, all future contact will be with your insurer, not with Insurdinary.
Using Insurdinary, allows you to choose the best policy for your pet, while still remaining within your budget. There is no cost or obligation required to receive your personalized list of quotes. Visit Insurdinary’s website today.
Petsecure is the oldest pet insurer in Canada, with more than 30 years of experience as a pet insurance provider. They are now one of the largest and most trusted insurers in the country.
Petsecure offers comprehensive coverage, with all policies designed in partnership with veterinary technicians.
Petsecure offers four coverage levels for your pet:
|Accident Coverage: Per Accident||Illness Cover: Per Condition, Per Year||Dental Cover: Per Year||Wellness Coverage||Preventative Care|
Petsecure’s coverage includes cover for:
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescriptions and medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
Let’s take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of Petsecure’s insurance policies.
- Deductibles range from $100-$700.
- Up to 80% of your vet bills will be reimbursed.
- Discounts are available if you insure multiple pets.
- Dental coverage is included with all insurance plans.
- Claims can be submitted any time within 6 months of treatment. Claims are usually processed within 7-10 days. You can choose to be reimbursed by cheque or direct deposit.
- Additional non-veterinary benefits are included. This includes boarding fees for your pet if you are hospitalized, lost pet advertising and rewards. Cremation or burial costs and holiday cancellation coverage are also included.
- The annual wellness coverage includes check-ups, vaccinations, and flea treatments.
- Pets above 8 years of age must undergo a physical exam, blood profile and urinalysis before they can obtain insurance.
- Some of Petsecure’s plans are more expensive than the industry average.
Petsecure offers a variety of coverage levels to suit your requirements. The Secure 1 and 2 plans offer coverage with lower monthly premiums. However, Petsecure’s more advanced plans are being priced out of the market by their competitors.
If you are looking for less coverage for a low monthly cost, Petsecure could be a fantastic option. However, if you are looking for high coverage levels, Petsecure could more expensive than other providers.
It is quick and easy to receive an insurance quote from Petsecure. Visit their website today for more information.
5. Pets Plus Us
Pets Plus Us is our final offering for the best pet insurance providers in Alberta. They are one of only a few dedicated pet insurers in Canada. They offer three different coverage levels:
This covers veterinary bills in the event of an accident or injury. Coverage is set at $5,000 per year for injuries relating to accidents. Pets Plus will reimburse up to 80% of your veterinary fees. The annual deductible for this policy is $100. The Accident policy includes the following coverage.
- Emergency Care
Accident and Illness Cover:
This policy veterinary bills you incur as a result of accidents, injuries, and illnesses. Two different coverage amounts are available – $7,500 or $15,000 per year. There are three reimbursement options available for you to choose from- 70%, 80% or 90%. The cost of the annual deductible is based on the age of your pet. Coverage includes everything offered by the Accident policy, plus coverage for:
- Injuries and accidents
- Hereditary conditions
- Prescription medications
- Alternative therapies
- Behavioural therapies
This can be a stand-alone plan or added to one of the other policies. 100% of the vet fees are reimbursed. Coverage includes a variety of services. This includes neutering, de-worming, urinalysis, blood profile, heartworm testing, and dental care. The treatment you will qualify for depends on your pet’s age.
Below are some of the pros and cons of Pet Plus Us.
- All policies include a 4Life Guarantee. Your benefits are guaranteed to renew every year.
- All policies also include Blue Ribbon Benefits. This gives you access to additional services such as a 24/7 emergency vet line and emergency medical coverage up to $1,000.
- Pets Plus Us has no upper age limit.
- Any licensed vet in Canada or the U.S. is covered.
- You choose your own reimbursement amount.
- Pets Plus Us gives you free access to educational resources, a blog, and an e-newsletter.
- None of the plans include dental coverage.
- Pets over 8 years of age must have had a physical exam, blood analysis and urinalysis within the last two months to qualify for insurance.
A relative newcomer to the insurance market, Pet Plus Us continues to grow in popularity and rate highly. You can choose accident or accident and illness coverage, with the option to add extra coverage to your policy.
Pet Plus Us allows you to choose your own reimbursement level, but not your annual deductible.
Visit Pets Plus Us’ website today for more information on their pet insurance policies and to receive your free quote.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Pet insurance involves paying a set monthly premium. If your pet gets sick or injured, you will pay a deductible fee. This is a pre-agreed amount that enables you to claim on your policy. A deductible is usually between 10-30% of the veterinary fees. The insurance company will then cover the remaining percentage of the veterinary bill. This percentage will usually be pre-agreed. You do not have to pay any interest rates on your insurance policy.
The cost of your insurance can change depending on the level of cover you desire and the amount of your deductible. The age of your pet will also be a factor. A cat is usually cheaper to insure than a dog. Some insurance companies will require you to pay for the treatment and will later reimburse you. Others will pay directly to your vet. Always research pet insurance providers thoroughly. Just as you would when purchasing health insurance for yourself.
The Bottom Line
Pet insurance may seem like an unnecessary expenditure. However, the cost of paying for veterinary treatment out of pocket can leave you with thousands of dollars of debt. You should therefore consider all of your options carefully before making a decision.
Petplan and Trupanion are among the best-rated pet insurance providers in Canada. Today, we have looked at five of the best insurance providers in Alberta.
Before choosing your policy, consider the needs of your pet and the level of insurance coverage you anticipate you will need. Also, consider your family’s financial situation.
Our beloved pets often feel like members of our families. If you could not really afford to pay the money out of pocket to cover the cost of their treatment in the event of an emergency, pet insurance may be the best option for you.